Apple iPhone 4S
Apple lost its co-founder and former CEO Steve Jobs in 2011. After returning to the company in the late 1990s, Jobs made the company's press releases much-talked-about events, where at first Apple fans and later geeks of all stripes tuned in to see what new gadgets Apple was ready to release. The company set patterns of release dates for its products, and as 2011 wore on, Apple fans and tech journalists were talking about the features and design of what they believed would be the iPhone 5.
But when the time came, Apple surprised many people by introducing an upgraded version of its previous model -- the iPhone 4S. The design was the same but the update included an 8-megapixel camera, a dual-core processor and improved graphics processing. It also fixed the antenna problems that drew so much criticism over the iPhone 4 when callers could accidentally short circuit the antennas, causing phone calls to drop [source: Beavis]. The phone was also the first of Apple's gadgets to take advantage of a new voice-recognition software called Siri.
Initial public reaction was mixed. Some were angry that Apple didn't release a brand-new device. Others were ready to upgrade and were happy with the new features. By the time December rolled around, the iPhone 4S outsold all other phones sold by AT&T, Verizon and Sprint, the top three U.S. carriers [source: Forbes].
For more information on gadgets and gizmos, process the information below.
More Great Links
- Amazon. "Kindle Fire." (Dec. 6, 2011) http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-Fire-Amazon-Tablet/dp/B0051VVOB2/ref=amb_link_359054382_4
- Arya, Aayush. "Best Buy unhappy with poor HP TouchPad sales; wants to return them." The Next Web. Aug. 17, 2011. (Dec. 6, 2011) http://thenextweb.com/gadgets/2011/08/17/best-buy-unhappy-with-poor-hp-touchpad-sales-wants-to-return-them/
- Associated Press. "HP Kills TouchPad, may spin off PC business." MSNBC. Aug. 18, 2011. (Dec. 6, 2011) http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44193385/ns/business-us_business/t/hp-kills-touchpad-may-spin-pc-business/
- Beavis, Gareth. "iPhone 4S review." TechRadar.com. Oct. 18, 2011. (Dec. 7, 2011) http://www.techradar.com/reviews/phones/mobile-phones/apple-iphone-4s-16gb-1031754/review
- Bolton, Matthew. "HP TouchPad review." TechRadar.com. June 30, 2011. (Dec. 6, 2011) http://www.techradar.com/reviews/pc-mac/tablets/hp-touchpad-972226/review
- Dolcourt, Jessica. "Super AMOLED Plus vs. Retina vs. Super LCD vs. Nova screens: What's the difference?" CNET. May 16, 2011. (Dec. 6, 2011) http://www.cnet.com/8301-17918_1-20056639-85.html
- Forbes. "IPhone 4S Tops Sales Charts, Samsung Surges Too." Dec. 7, 2011. (Dec. 7, 2011) http://www.forbes.com/sites/mobiledia/2011/12/07/iphone-4s-tops-sales-charts-samsung-surges-too/
- Hachman, Mark. "Report: Galaxy Nexus Superphone Gets Not-So-Super Price: $299.99." PCMag.com. Dec. 5, 2011. (Dec. 7, 2011) http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2397249,00.asp
- Kohler, Chris. "Nintendo Didn't Expect 3DS Sales to Drop Like This." Wired GameLife. April 26, 2011. (Dec. 6, 2011) http://news.cnet.com/8301-13506_3-20054217-17.html
- Krakow, Gary. "HP TouchPad Debut: Gadget Review." TheStreet.com. July 1, 2011. (Dec. 6, 2011) http://www.thestreet.com/story/11172655/1/hp-touchpad-debut-gadget-review.html
- Lee, Nicole. "Sony Ericsson Xperia Play (Verizon Wireless)." CNET Reviews. May 23, 2011. (Dec. 5, 2011) http://reviews.cnet.com/smartphones/sony-ericsson-xperia-play/4505-6452_7-34505263.html
- Los Angeles Times. "Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 sales ban in Australia overturned." Nov. 29, 2011. (Dec. 6, 2011) http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/technology/2011/11/samsung-vs-apple-galaxy-tab-101-sales-ban-in-australia-overturned.html
- Paul, Ian. "Samsung Offers Galaxy SII for $2 to Lucky Customers." PC World. Oct. 12, 2011. (Dec. 6, 2011) http://www.pcworld.com/article/241760/samsung_offers_galaxy_sii_for_2_to_lucky_customers.html
- Reisinger, Don. "iOS, Android gobbling Nintendo DS market share." CNET News. April 15, 2011. (Dec. 6, 2011) http://news.cnet.com/8301-13506_3-20054217-17.html
- Sony Ericsson. "Xperia PLAY." (Dec. 5, 2011) http://www.sonyericsson.com/cws/products/mobilephones/overview/xperia-play?cc=gb&lc=en
- Stevens, Tim. "BlackBerry PlayBook review." Engadget." April 13, 2011. (Dec. 5, 2011) http://www.engadget.com/2011/04/13/blackberry-playbook-review
- Stevens, Tim. "HP TouchPad review." Engadget. June 29, 2011. (Dec. 6, 2011) http://www.engadget.com/2011/06/29/hp-touchpad-review/
- Whitney, Lance. "RIM to write down value of poor-selling BlackBerry PlayBook." CNET News. Dec. 2, 2011. (Dec. 5, 2011) http://news.cnet.com/8301-1001_3-57335454-92/rim-to-write-down-value-of-poor-selling-blackberry-playbook/
- Yin-Poole, Wesley. "Sony Ericsson: No need for Xperia Play 2." EuroGamer.net. Sept. 6, 2011. (Dec. 5, 2011) http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-09-06-sony-ericsson-no-need-for-xperia-play-2
Virtual reality makes it easier — and a little more fun — for sick kids to deal with painful medical procedures. Find out more at HowStuffWorks.