As history has shown time and again, the latest and greatest console is nothing without great games. Microsoft has set out to create a series of blockbuster titles in-house for the Xbox 360 as well as make deals with as many third-party developers as possible. Game developers are attracted to the prospect of creating games on such a powerful canvas, and in the years to come they will find new ways to build games that push the potential of the Xbox 360.
One game franchise more than any other has defined the success of the Xbox and Xbox 360: "Halo." Microsoft acquired game developer Bungie Studios in 2000 to bring the game to the original Xbox. The game took off and spawned a sequel. Then, on September 25, 2007, came "Halo 3." In 12 days, it had already surpassed the biggest-selling game in 2007, "Wii Play," selling 3.3 million copies and pushing the Xbox 360 ahead of the Wii in numbers of consoles sold for the month [source: Casamassina]. Microsoft even released a special "Halo"-themed Xbox 360 console for hard-core fans.
The game even seems to have affected the motion picture industry. Ticket sales for the October 5, 2007, weekend only totaled $80 million, a 27 percent decrease from the same weekend the year before [source: Brodesser-Akner, Claude]. Some movie executives blame Bungie and Microsoft for stealing their sales.
Below is a list of games that released with the Xbox 360. For a complete list of current and upcoming games, check out Xbox.com Games.
- "Kameo: Elements of Power"
- "Perfect Dark Zero"
- "Project Gotham Racing 3"
- "Call of Duty 2"
- "Need for Speed Most Wanted"
- "Peter Jackson's King Kong"
- "Madden NFL 06"
- "Condemned: Criminal Origins"
- "NBA 2K6"
- "Ridge Racer 6"
- "Tony Hawk's American Wasteland"
- "QUAKE 4"
- "Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 06"
- "Amped 3"
- "FIFA 06: Road to FIFA World Cup"
- "NHL 2K6"
- "NBA Live 06"
For more information on the Xbox 360 and related topics, check out the links below.
Related HowStuffWorks Articles
More Great Links
- 1Up.com - Introducing ... Xbox 360 http://www.1up.com/do/feature?cId=3140209 Brodesser-Akner, Claude. "Bad Box Office? Blame 'Halo'." Advertising Age. 10/15/2007. (10/16/2007). http://adage.com/article?article_id=121130
- Casamassina, Matt. "NPD: Halo 3 Helps 360 Edge Out Wii." IGN.com. 10/18/2007. (10/19/2007). http://wii.ign.com/articles/828/828481p1.html
- DevX.com: Multi-Core: Intel's New Processors Architecture Explained http://www.devx.com/Intel/Article/27990?trk=DXRSS_intelopt
- Extreme Tech - Todd Holmdahl: Xbox 360 Interview, May 17, 2005 http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1558,1817022,00.asp
- Gamespot: Xbox 360 Inside and Out http://www.gamespot.com/features/6124293/index.html
- Gamespot: Xbox Live 2.0 detailed, priced http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/08/31/news_6132300.html
- Magrino, Tom. "$279 360 Arcade official: Microsoft exec confirms repackaged low-end console will include wireless controller, and at least Pac-Man, Uno, and Luxor 2." GameSpot. 10/18/2007. (10/19/2007). http://www.gamespot.com/news/6181267.html
- "Microsoft Unveils Xbox 360 Elite: Premium black console includes 120GB hard drive and line of new accessories." Microsoft Corp. Press Release. 3/27/2007. (10/19/2007) http://www.microsoft.com/Presspass/press/2007/mar07/03-27Xbox360ElitePR.mspx
- Pham, Alex. "Microsoft extends warranty on Xbox 360 consoles." The Los Angeles Times. 7/6/2007. (10/19/2007). http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/news/business/la-fi-xbox6jul06,1,4761516.story
- Talk Xbox: Xbox Controller S Review http://www.talkxbox.com/hreview7.html
- Team Xbox - Xbox 360 Services and Features http://features.teamxbox.com/xbox/1147/ Xbox-360-Software-and-Services-Features/p1
- Team Xbox: The Xbox 360 Dissected http://features.teamxbox.com/xbox/1145/The-Xbox-360-Dissected/p2/
- WindowsForDevices.com: The scoop on the Xbox 360's embedded OS http://www.windowsfordevices.com/news/NS3988467635.html