Word from people who have been able to try the device is that it's pretty impressive as far as delivering virtual reality experiences, but, being a prototype, it still needs a little work. It inevitably draws comparisons with the Oculus Rift, especially their new Dev Kit 2 version. In fact, both were demonstrated at GDC 2014.
Early reviews based on demos say that Project Morpheus reportedly has better lenses and doesn't have as much of the effect of looking through a screen door as Oculus Rift. But Project Morpheus has a little more black space in the peripheral vision area due to the narrower field of view, slightly lower display quality and a little more of an issue with image persistence and motion blurring. Project Morpheus also reportedly has a little room for improvement in the comfort arena, and there were a couple of reports of the lenses fogging after a few minutes of use. Although it blocks light, you can apparently see out the bottom of the device when you look down.
As far as the game demos went, "EVE: Valkyrie" reportedly delivered the most immersive experience, although "The Castle" got props for using the Move controllers to give the game character two hands with more realistic motion than the other demos.
Project Morpheus is still in the prototype phase, so a lot can change between this model and subsequent models. And regarding any competing devices, if you're a PlayStation 4 owner, Project Morpheus will likely be the one for you, if you want VR on that platform.
As of mid-2014 release date had not been announced for Project Morpheus. A consumer model was not expected in 2014, so 2015 is the earliest possibility. As mentioned in the previous section, the current prototype will be the first developer's kit, and an SDK is expected in the near future.
Time will tell how the final product will look and function, but it's bound to be a fun peripheral. And with so many competing dev kits in the wild, a lot of VR games are already in development. We are living on the cusp of realistic, in-home virtual reality. Let the immersive gaming begin.
Author's Note: How Project Morpheus Works
This is an exciting time for virtual reality. I've played VR games in the past, and they were unsatisfying and nausea inducing. But that was the 90s, when high latency and low definition were the rule (at least by today's standards). Project Morpheus and Oculus Rift are both making at-home high-def VR seem like a near-future possibility. Honestly, I will probably want both devices when they are out in consumer form. It's not like I don't have more than one gaming system, each with its own peripherals. And maybe a little competition will make them both strive for even higher quality than they've already achieved. Holodeck, here we come.
- Bloomberg. "Virtual-Reality Headset Brings Zombies to Your Room." April 14, 2014. (April 15, 2014) http://www.bloomberg.com/video/sulon-s-cortex-headset-brings-zombies-to-your-room-44Vjlis3QZ~mFy~NEp0P~w.html
- Buckley, Sean. "This is what game devs are saying about Valve's prototype VR hardware." Engadget. January 17, 2014. (April 12, 2014) http://www.engadget.com/2014/01/17/this-is-what-game-devs-are-saying-about-valves-prototype-vr-har/
- Buckley, Sean. "Valve's investing in VR, but has no plans to release its own hardware." Engadget. January 16, 2014. (April 12, 2014) http://www.engadget.com/2014/01/16/valve-worked-on-crystal-cove/
- Business Wire. "HEADPLAY, Inc. Unveils Final Design of the HEADPLAY Personal Cinema System at 2007 Consumer Electronics Show." January 4, 2007. (April 15, 2014) http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20070104005303/en/HEADPLAY-Unveils-Final-Design-HEADPLAY-Personal-Cinema#.U04rCOaVkYR
- Byford, Sam. "Sony reveals Project Morpheus, its VR headset for PlayStation 4." Verge. March 18, 2014. (April 10, 2014) http://mobile.theverge.com/2014/3/18/5523984/sony-reveals-project-morpheus-its-vr-system-for-ps4
- Crecente, Brian. "Sony plans to court indies with its Project Morpheus VR headset." Polygon. March 27, 2014. (April 15, 2014) http://www.polygon.com/2014/3/27/5553506/project-morpheus-indie-dev-kit
- Davies, Chris. "Sony Project Morpheus specs detailed: 1080p & 3D sound." Slash Gear. March 18, 2014. (April 15, 2014) http://www.slashgear.com/sony-project-morpheus-specs-detailed-1080p-3d-sound-18321181/
- Dingman, Hayden. "To Oculus and beyond: Peering into the future of virtual reality at GDC 2014." PC World. March 21, 2014. (April 15, 2014) http://www.pcworld.com/article/2110427/to-oculus-and-beyond-peering-into-the-future-of-virtual-reality-at-gdc-2014.html
- Dutton, Fred. "Microsoft comments on 'leaked' Xbox 720 strategy document." Eurogamer. June 19, 2012. (April 12, 2014) http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-06-19-microsoft-comments-on-leaked-xbox-720-strategy-document
- GamerHubTV. "Sony Project Morpheus Creator Richard Marks Talks VR." March 21, 2014. (April 12, 2014) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TnXVuhxVtQ
- Gilbert, Ben. "Using the PlayStation 4's virtual reality headset, Project Morpheus (update: now with video!)." Engadget. March 19, 2014. (April 14, 2014) http://www.engadget.com/2014/03/19/project-morpheus-hands-on/
- IGN. "Headplay Announces High-Definition and Wireless Capabilities for the Personal Cinema System." December 4, 2008. (April 15, 2014) http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20070104005303/en/HEADPLAY-Unveils-Final-Design-HEADPLAY-Personal-Cinema#.U04rCOaVkYR
- Kohler, Chris. "Hands On: Sony's PlayStation VR Isn't Quite as Good as Oculus -- Yet." Wired. March 20, 2014. (April 15, 2014) http://www.wired.com/2014/03/project-morpheus-impressions/
- Leadbetter, Richard. "Spec Analysis: Project Morpheus." Eurogamer. March 21, 2014. (April 13, 2014) http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-project-morpheus-spec-analysis
- McCormick, Rich. "Valve's virtual reality headset might be better than the Oculus Rift." Verge. February 28, 2014. (April 12, 2014) http://www.theverge.com/gaming/2014/2/28/5456154/valve-vr-headset-prototype-impressions-better-than-oculus-rift
- Mejia, Ozzie. "How PS4 will power Project Morpheus." Shack News. March 26, 2014. (April 12, 2014) http://www.shacknews.com/article/83733/how-ps4-will-power-project-morpheus
- Mitchell, Richard. "Oculus Rift: From $2.4 million Kickstarter to $2 billion sale." Joystiq. March 28, 2014. (April 15, 2014) http://www.joystiq.com/2014/03/28/oculus-rift-from-2-4-million-kickstarter-to-2-billion-sale/
- Oculus VR. "DK2 - Development Kit 2." (April 12, 2014) http://www.oculusvr.com/dk2/
- Oculus VR. "Oculus Rift Development Kit 2 FAQ." April 4, 2014. (April 15, 2014) https://support.oculusvr.com/hc/en-us/articles/201835987-Oculus-Rift-Development-Kit-2-FAQ
- Oravasaari, Dan. "GDC 2014: Hands-On Project Morpheus -- Sony's VR Headset." PlayStationLifeStyle. March 23, 2014. (April 12, 2014) http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2014/03/23/gdc-2014-hands-on-project-morpheus-sonys-vr-headset/
- Orland, Kyle. "Sony reveals Project Morpheus, its virtual reality headset for PS4." Ars Technica. March 18, 2014. (April 14, 2014) http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2014/03/sony-reveals-virtual-reality-headset-plans-at-gdc-panel/
- Parrish, Kevin. "Project Morpheus vs. Oculus Rift Development Kit 2 (Updated)." March 20, 2014. (April 15, 2014) http://www.tomshardware.com/news/project-morpheus-oculus-rift-vr,26355.html
- Peckham, Matt. "Sony's Project Morpheus Virtual Reality Headset: 10 Things to Know." Time. March 20, 2014. (April 12, 2014) http://time.com/31869/sonys-project-morpheus-virtual-reality-headset-10-things-to-know/
- Peckham, Matt. "Sony Unveils Project Morpheus, Its PlayStation Virtual Reality Headset." Time. March 18, 2014. (April 14, 2014) http://time.com/29730/sony-unveils-project-morpheus-its-playstation-virtual-reality-headset/
- PlayStation. "GDC - 2014. Sponsored Sessions - Driving the Future of Innovation at Sony Computer Entertainment." (April 15, 2014) http://us.playstation.com/develop/gdc-2014/
- Robertson, Adi. "Plugging into Crystal Cove, the new high-resolution, position-tracking Oculus Rift." Verge. January 7, 2014. (April 12, 2014) http://www.theverge.com/2014/1/7/5285776/hands-on-with-crystal-cove-the-new-oculus-rift-prototype
- Robertson, Adi. "Sony's VR headset is a worthy competitor for the Oculus Rift." Verge. March 19, 2014. (April 14, 2014) http://www.theverge.com/2014/3/19/5526730/sony-morpheus-vr-headset-compares-well-to-oculus-rift
- Savov, Vlad. "Sony's HMZ-T3 continues a proud tradition of awkward head furniture." Verge. September 5, 2013. (April 14, 2014) http://www.theverge.com/2013/9/5/4698154/sony-hmz-t3-hands-on-video-preview
- Scharr, Jill. "Seebright Headset Creates Smartphone-Powered Virtual Reality." Tom's Guide. March 24, 2014. (April 15, 2014) http://www.tomsguide.com/us/seebright-headset-smartphone-virtual-reality,news-18512.html
- Shuman, Sid. "Project Morpheus: Experiencing PS4's Virtual Reality Prototype." PlayStation Blog. March 21, 2014. (April 12, 2014) http://blog.us.playstation.com/2014/03/21/project-morpheus-experiencing-ps4s-virtual-reality-prototype/
- Sony Computer Entertainment America. "Sony Computer Entertainment Announces 'Project Morpheus' - A Virtual Reality System That Expands the Real World of PlayStation 4 (PS4)." March 19, 2014. (April 15, 2014) http://us.playstation.com/corporate/about/press-release/sce-announces-project-morpheus-a-virtual-reality-system-that-expands-the-world-of-ps4.html
- Tassi, Paul. "Sony's Project Morpheus 'Validated' By Facebook's Oculus Purchase." Forbes. April 12, 2014. (April 15, 2014) http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2014/04/12/sonys-project-morpheus-validated-by-facebooks-oculus-purchase/
- Valve. "Steam Dev Days." (April 15, 2014) http://www.steamdevdays.com/
- Warren, Tom. "Xbox 720 document leak reveals $299 console with Kinect 2 for 2013, Kinect Glasses project." Verge. June 16, 2012. (April 12, 2014) http://www.theverge.com/2012/6/16/3090944/microsoft-xbox-720-kinect-2-kinect-glasses-doc-leak-rumor
- Welch, Chris. "Sony's virtual reality headset won't be released this year." Verge. March 19, 2014. (April 12, 2014) http://www.theverge.com/2014/3/19/5526640/sony-project-morpheus-wont-be-released-this-year
- Yoshida, Shu. "Introducing Project Morpheus." PlayStation Blog. March 18, 3024. (April 6, 2014) http://blog.us.playstation.com/2014/03/18/introducing-project-morpheus/