When you've found an HDTV with a screen size, aspect ratio and native resolution you want, you'll need to make sure the equipment you already own will work with it. If you already have a DVD player, a DVR, game consoles or other equipment, make sure that they can connect to the TV directly or through an audio/visual receiver. Many HDTVs have High-Definition Multimedia Interface (HDMI) connections, which can transmit audio/visual signals to the TV without compression. In some cases, you can use adapters to make your equipment compatible with your set.
Once you've picked up your set and installed it in your home, you'll need to get a signal. To get a signal, you can use:
- An antenna - Depending on your location relative to the stations you want to watch, a set of rabbit ears might do, but you might need a rooftop or attic antenna. You can buy an antenna that's specially made for digital signals, but any reliable VHF/UHF antenna will work.
- Cable - Keep in mind that digital cable is not the same as HDTV. You'll need to check with your provider to determine which packages include HDTV stations. You'll also either need a set-top cable box or a CableCARD™ to allow your television to receive and decode the cable signal.
- Satellite service - As with cable, check with your provider to determine which plans and stations use HDTV signals. You may need a different satellite dish and tuner to receive HDTV signals via satellite.
To learn more about TVs, HDTVs and digital broadcasting, check out the links below.
Related HowStuffWorks Articles
More Great Links
- Davidson, Paul. "Digital Confusion Frustrates TV Buyers." USA Today, 12/29/05 http://www.usatoday.com/money/media/2005-12-29-hdtv-confusion_x.htm
- FCC Consumer Facts: DTV http://www.fcc.gov/cgb/consumerfacts/digitaltv.html
- Crutchfield Advisor: DTV & HDTV Glossary http://www.crutchfieldadvisor.com/ISEO-rgbtcspd/learningcenter/home/tv_glossary.html
- Cnet: HDTV World http://www.cnet.com/4520-7874_1-5102926-1.html
- Crutchfield Advisor: Understanding HDTV http://www.crutchfieldadvisor.com/S-nQi4l0Av5xD/learningcenter/home/tv_hdtv.html
- Crutchfield Advisor: TV & HDTV FAQ http://www.crutchfieldadvisor.com/S-nQi4l0Av5xD/ learningcenter/home/tv_faq.html
- Crutchfield Advisor: Understanding CableCARD http://www.crutchfieldadvisor.com/S-wVSSW83IFo8/learningcenter/home/cablecard.html
- U.S. FCC: Buying a DTV Television http://www.dtv.gov/DTV_TipSheet.pdf