Lots More Information
The Rolex name is synonymous with luxury. But how did this watch company become one of the most famous brands in the world? HowStuffWorks explains.
Author's Note: 10 Ways Watches Have Evolved
I do love watches, though I'm a writer, so the likes of Breguet, Girard-Perregaux, Cartier, and all the rest of Jay-Z's wearable friends are beyond my bank account. I've got two watches right now. The one I wear most often is digital, with a lot of plastic buttons on the side. It's white and blocky and looks like it was made for Stormtroopers from "Star Wars." It's also solar-powered, and it automatically syncs with the atomic clock in Colorado, so it's always right. The other is a pseudo diver's watch; it can get wet, but I wouldn't count on it to keep me from getting the bends. I got it as a present for my thirteenth birthday, and I am far beyond thirteen. Its battery dies every so often, and I try replacing it with another watch, but I keep coming back to this oversized metal monster of a watch. A new battery brings it back to life every time.
- Brockman, Ari. "Hamilton Announces World's First Electric Wristwatch." SmartWatch. Jan. 3, 2014. (Aug. 13, 2014) http://www.smartwatchnews.org/hamilton-first-electric-wristwatch/
- Brozek, John E. "The History and Evolution of the Wristwatch." International Watch Magazine. January 2004. Republished on QualityTyme.net. (Aug. 6, 2014) http://www.qualitytyme.net/pages/rolex_articles/history_of_wristwatch.html
- Collectors Weekly. "Vintage Mickey Mouse Watches." CollectorsWeekly.com. (Aug. 13, 2014) http://www.menswearstyle.co.uk/2013/07/26/history-of-the-wristwatch/660
- Costa, Alan. "The History of Watches." ClocksOnly.com. (Aug. 6, 2014) http://clocksonly.com/watch_history.html
- Edwards, Benj. "The Digital Watch: A Brief History." PCMag.com, April 15, 2012. (Aug. 6, 2014) http://www.pcmag.com/slideshow/story/296609/the-digital-watch-a-brief-history
- Menswear Style. "The History of the Wristwatch." Menswear Style. July 26, 2013. (Aug. 6, 2014) http://www.menswearstyle.co.uk/2013/07/26/history-of-the-wristwatch/660
- Swatch. "The amazing adventures of 'The Second Watch.'" Swatch.com. (Aug. 13, 2014) http://www.swatch.com/zz_en/about/history.html
- The Time Piece Store. "The History of Wrist Watches." TimePieceStore.com. Dec. 17, 2008. (Aug. 6, 2014) http://www.timepiecestore.com/blog/?p=3
- The Watch Guy. "Hamilton Electric." TheWatchGuy.Homestead.com. (Aug. 13, 2014) http://thewatchguy.homestead.com/pages/HAMILTONELECT.html
- Tourneau. "History of Timekeeping." Tourneau.com. (Aug. 6, 2014) http://www.tourneau.com/catalog/editorial_onecolumn.jsp?pageName=HistoryOfTimeKeepingTimeline