Author's Note: What's the best way to play my iPod in the car?
Assuming you made it through the main article and are now reading this, you know there are a lot of ways to connect your iPod to your car, and unless you have a fairly new iPod and a fairly new car, connecting one to the other is probably going to cost you money. In fact, it seems almost certain that the integration was designed specifically to support aftermarket products. I couldn't even do research without the companies trying to sell me something. When you search for some combination of the terms "iPod" and "car" and "integrate" or "play" (really, there are a lot of possibilities) it's likely that Apple's webpage will be one of your first results. Fair enough. But when I clicked the link to what looked like a general landing page for iPod integration, I was instead whisked away to a page about hooking up an iPod to a new Mercedes-Benz. Of all the car brands that were listed on that page, what makes Apple think I own a Mercedes? Not that it matters, in my particular case. My scooter is too old to have an iPod jack (although some newer scooter models do offer this feature ... yikes). But if Apple was checking the browser cookies on my iPhone or my two MacBooks, hoping to sell me something else lovely yet expensive, they were definitely on the wrong track.
- Allen, Mike. "How to Install an iPod Adapter in Your Car." Popular Mechanics. April 29, 2010. (Jan. 9, 2014) http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/how-to/maintenance/how-to-install-an-ipod-dock-to-your-car
- Apple. "Your new car and your iPod get along so well." Apple.com. (Jan. 9, 2014) http://www.apple.com/ipod/car-integration/
- Audio Review. "Everything for your iPod." Audioreview.com. (Jan. 5, 2009) http://www.audioreview.com/ipodcrx.aspx
- Cabell, Todd. "iPod installation guide." Crutchfield.com. June 20, 2008. (Jan. 5, 2009) http://www.crutchfield.com/learn/learningcenter/car/ipod/ipod_installation.html
- Chee, Brian. "How to iPod your car." Autobytel.com. (Jan. 5, 2009) http://www.autobytel.com/content/shared/articles/templates/index.cfm/article_page_order_int/ 1/article_id_int/809
- Circuit City. "iPod in the car." Circuitcity.com. (Jan. 5, 2009) http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/genericContent.do?oid=125008
- Crutchfield. "iPod Car Stereo Adapter Shopping Guide." Crutchfield.com. (Jan. 9, 2014) http://www.crutchfield.com/S-50izPXDJ4a1/learn/learningcenter/car/ipod/car_adapters.html
- Cunningham, Wayne. "Hook up an iPhone, or iPod, to your car." CNET. Dec.18, 2013. (Jan. 9, 2014) http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13746_7-57560069-48/hook-up-an-iphone-or-ipod-to-your-car/