Not all of us have fancy equipment to make our faces flawless and straighten our teeth. But once your picture is scanned, you might realize that your old elementary photos could use a bit of brightening or touching up that you don't have the program for.
Luckily, there are several Web-based programs that allow you to edit your pictures online after uploading them. Picasa is Google's free, Web-based photo sharing site that allows you to not only share and organize photos but also to edit them. Picnik.com also allows you to edit online through Flickr.com, but it will be moving its services to Google+ in April 2012.
While these sites offer a Web-based version of the master image, you'll also want to back up the images in more than one place. Along with the original images on your hard drive, store copies of the photos on DVDs or an external drive.
Now that your old photos are safely scanned, edited, stored and uploaded, check out lots more information about photography technology.
- Fulton, Wayne. "A few scanning tips." Scantips.com. 2010. (Jan. 12, 2012) http://www.scantips.com/.
- Hewlett-Packard. "Get quick tips for scanning photos." 2011. (Jan. 12, 2012) http://www.hp.com/united states/consumer/digital_photography/organize_archive_photos/tips/10_tips_scanning.html.
- Hewlett-Packard. "HP Scanjet Scanners: Cleaning and Maintaining the Scanner." 2012. (Jan. 12, 2012) http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=bps02788
- Johnson, Dave. "Cleaning up scanned photos." PC World. Nov. 18, 2003. (Jan. 12, 2012) http://www.pcworld.com/article/113123/digital_focus_clean_up_scanned_images.html
- Johnson, Dave. "Convert your old photos to digital pictures." Microsoft. 2010. (Jan. 12, 2012) http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Convert-your-old-photos-to-digital-pictures-Using-a-scanner-to-archive-your-memories-digitally.
- Johnson, Dave. "Digital Focus: Scanning Old Photos." PC World. Feb. 28, 2006. (Dec. 14, 2010) http://www.pcworld.com/article/124718/digital_focus_scanning_old_photos.html.
- Johnson, Dave. "Digital Focus: The ABCs of Scanning Old Photos." PC World. (Dec. 14, 2010) http://www.pcworld.com/article/117441/digital_focus_the_abcs_of_scanning_old_photos.html.
- Jones, Frederic H. Digital Photography: Just the Steps for Dummies. Hoboken, NJ: Wiley Publishing, Inc., 2005.
- Picasa. "Edit Photos." 2011. (Jan. 12, 2012) http://support.google.com/picasa/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=156342
- Rose, Carla. Digital Memories: Scrapbooking with Your Computer. Que Publishing, 2004.
- Saltzman, Marc. "Scanning Your Family History." Microsoft.com. (Dec. 14, 2010) http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/digitalphotography/learnmore/scanning.mspx.
- Story, Derrick. "New life for old photos." Macworld.com. May 1, 2006. (December 14, 2010) http://www.macworld.com/article/50580/2006/05/newlife.html.
Forget those awkward family photos! HowStuffWorks talked to two photography experts on how to look your best in every photo, every time.