SED-TVs were scheduled to hit the market sometime in 2006, and people who've seen them at CES and other electronics shows say that they have a remarkably good picture. SED-TVs have all of the best features of CRT televisions, like good color quality and black level, without a CRT's bulk or weight. SED-TVs have a wide viewing angle, and the SCE structure gets rid of the blurring that can happen around the edges of some CRT sets. The sets are compact and lightweight, and they consume less power than other flat-panel sets.
Figuring out the downsides of owning an SED-TV will be a little tricky until more people actually own and use them. But many people suspect that the sets will be too expensive for most people to afford -- rumors place the starting price of a 55-inch set at around $10,000.
SED-TV's release has also been delayed repeatedly. The original date was spring 2006. Then, Toshiba and Canon announced that it had been pushed to late 2007 for cost reasons. In the spring of 2007, the companies announced that the set would come out on an unspecified future date, citing patent, supply and production difficulties [source: Reuters].
For lots more information about SED-TVs and other television technologies, check out the links in the next section.
Related HowStuffWorks Articles
More Great Links
- Kallender, Paul. "Toshiba to start SED-TV production this August." Computerworld, Vol. 11 Issue 13, April-May 2005. http://www.computerworld.com.sg/ShowPage.aspx?pagetype=2&articleid=856&pubid=3&issueid=45
- Katzmaier, David. "Toshiba Challenges Plasma with LCD and SED Panel." CNet, January 12, 2005. http://www.cnet.com/4520-10602_1-5618734-1.html
- "SED Manufacturing Methods Revealed." Nikkei Electronics Asia, September 2005. http://neasia.nikkeibp.com/neasia/002048
- "Surface-conduction Electron-emitter Displays." Clarycon. http://www.clarycon.com/surface-conducti.html
- "Tunnel Effect." Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency, 2003. http://spaceinfo.jaxa.jp/note/kagaku/e/kag106_tonneru_e.html
- "Toshiba's SED TV Makes Long-Awaited Debut at SEC 2006." Society for Information Display, January 2006. http://www.sid.org/news/archive/industrynews0601.html#11
- Toshiba Microfilter Color Display Tubes. http://cdgenp01.csd.toshiba.com/content/pr/download/ ToshibaMicrolfilterColorDisplayTubes.pdf
- Yamamoto, K. et al. "Fabrication and characterization of surface-conduction electron emitters for SED." Journal of the Society for Information Display. Vol. 14, no. 1, 2006.