The Basic Idea
Here's how Infinium Labs describes its new machine:
Phantom is an always on broadband device, which allows gamers a wealth of options, from wireless connectivity to massive multiplayer capability... to allowing gamers to demo and experience games before purchasing or subscribing.
But the Phantom is different from an off-the-shelf PC in a few important ways. Namely:
- It has built-in S-video, RCA, and component video ports, so it can hook up to your TV directly, just like an X-Box or DVD player.
- It has built-in wireless modules, which work with a wireless keyboard, wireless mouse and wireless game controller
- It includes a sound card that supports Dolby 5.1 Surround Sound.
- It uses a proprietary encryption scheme to store data on the hard drive.
- It doesn't have a CD-ROM drive.
Additionally, the Phantom is programmed to use Infinium Lab's virtual private games network (VPGN). In the next section, we'll see what this feature is all about.