Even if you never make a single purchase from the iTunes Store, you can still take advantage of the basic functions of iTunes. iTunes offers all of the features we've come to expect from a high-level jukebox media player:
- Audio-file playback: iTunes supports AAC, AIFF, Apple Lossless, MP3, WAV, Audible.com's .aa format and unprotected WMA audio formats.
- Streaming music: You can open a stream in iTunes just by entering the URL in the "Open Stream" dialog box.
- Internet radio: You can set Internet radio presets.
- Graphics: You can view audio-coordinated graphics on-screen and print jewel-case art for your burned CDs.
- CD track information: iTunes automatically displays all available CD information when you insert a disc into the drive. You can also edit the information if it's incomplete or wrong.
- Organization and management tools: iTunes offers automatic and manual management options for your library.
- File-type conversion: iTunes will convert your AAC, AIFF, Apple Lossless, MP3, WAV or unprotected WMA files to AAC, AIFF, Apple Lossless, MP3 or WAV format.
- Playlist creation
- Burning and ripping CDs
- Downloading files to a portable player
- Sharing music over a network