It's Only Mundane Details
Sure, sometimes you might want to let everyone know about how you're standing in line to get coffee, but Twitter has become what Time calls a "medium of the movement," growing as an important communication tool and way to quickly network people and information. Twitter has a few things in its favor to make it so. It's free and it's available on more than one mobile platform, including the Internet, instant messaging and SMS. This combination has sparked users to go beyond the coffee talk.
In 2009, for example, Iranians used Twitter to organize government protests -- and in 2008, twitterers kept the world updated on the attacks in Mumbai. They did so by creating searchable tags, such as the hashtag #Mumbai, on Twitter to get the word out around the world.
Find out more about Twitter below.
Related HowStuffWorks Articles
- Boutin, Paul. "All You Need to Know to Twitter." New York Times. 2009. http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/07/technology/personaltech/07basics.html?_r=2
- Grossman, Lev. "Iran Protests: Twitter, the Medium of the Movement." Time. 2009. http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,1905125,00.html?cnn=yes
- Gustin, Sam. "Twitter's Business Model? Well, Ummmm..." Wired. 2008. http://www.wired.com/techbiz/people/news/2008/08/portfolio_0804
- McCracken, Harry. "Ten Twitter Mythconceptions." Technologizer. 2009. http://technologizer.com/2009/05/11/ten-twitter-mythconceptions/
- Miller, Claire Cain. "The Obsession With Twitter's Business Model." New York Times. 2009. http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/03/26/the-twitterverses-obsession-with-twitters-business-model/?ref=technology
- Ostrow, Adam. "Twitter Now Growing at a Staggering 1,382 Percent." Mashable. http://mashable.com/2009/03/16/twitter-growth-rate-versus-facebook/
- Perez, Juan Carlos. "Google Acquisition Rumors Reflect Twitter's Importance." PC World. 2009. http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/162586/google_acquisition_rumors_reflect_twitters_importance.html
- Pleming, Sue. "U.S. State Department speaks to Twitter over Iran." Reuters. 2009. http://www.reuters.com/article/rbssTechMediaTelecomNews/idUSWBT01137420090616
- Rose, Kevin. "Kevin Rose: 10 Ways to Increase Your Twitter Followers." TechCrunch. 2009. http://www.techcrunch.com/2009/01/25/kevin-rose-10-ways-to-increase-your-twitter-followers/
- Schindlholzer, Bernhard. "Five Use Cases to Leverage Twitter for your Business." The Customer Experience Labs. 2009. http://www.customer-experience-labs.com/2009/06/11/five-use-cases-to-leverage-twitter-for-your-business/
- Shachtman, Noah. "Mumbai Attack Aftermath Detailed, Tweet by Tweet." Wired. 2008. http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2008/11/first-hand-acco/#previouspost
- Snyder, Chris. "Twitter Could 'Go for Years' Without Earning a Dime, Investor Says." Wired.com. 2009. http://www.wired.com/epicenter/2009/02/twitter-still-l/
- Twitter Blog. http://blog.twitter.com/
- "Twitter News." The New York Times. http://topics.nytimes.com/top/news/business/companies/twitter/index.html
- Wayne, Teddy. "Twitter's Trouble With Repeat Users." New York Times. 2009. http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/11/technology/internet/11drill.html?_r=1
There are plenty of stories surrounding Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg. See these five myths about Mark Zuckerberg to find out fact from fiction.