Lots More Information
Author's Note: How Ragdoll Physics Works
I grew up playing games like "Ikari Warriors" and "King's Quest," both of which featured blocky animation that looks downright rudimentary by today's standards. There were no dynamic graphics in those days. The characters hovered their way through the polygon-ish landscape in search of victory or perhaps a way to escape their two-dimensional hell. Contemporary gamers are spoiled by graphics so convincing that the digital world becomes a secondary life. And now that I remember how addicted I was to even old-school video games, maybe it's best that I missed out on this era of gameplay.
- Champandard, Alex J. "Procedural Characters and the Coming Animation Revolution." AIGameDev. Aug. 20, 2012. (Sept. 4, 2015) http://aigamedev.com/open/editorial/animation-revolution/
- Clary, Grayson. "Fearsome Engines." Method. 2015. (Sept. 4, 2015) http://www.methodquarterly.com/2015/06/fearsome-engines/
- DigitalRune. "Ragdolls." (Sep. 4, 2015) http://www.digitalrune.com/Documentation/html/0f8abfcc-b27e-4887-8017-9fda6e7fb0fc.htm
- Florian, Razyan. "Featherstone's Algorithm for Simulating Articulated Bodies." Thyrix. July 27, 2005. (Sept. 4, 2015) http://www.thyrix.com/documentation/featherstone_method.php
- Glimberg, Stefan and Morten Engel. "Comparison of Ragdoll Methods." Jan. 23, 2007. (Sept. 4, 2015) http://image.diku.dk/projects/media/glimberg.engel.07.pdf
- Massoudi, Peyman. "Combing Ragdoll and Keyframe Animation to Achieve Dynamic Poses." AniMotion. May 25, 2015. (Sept. 4, 2015) http://peyman-mass.blogspot.com/2015/05/combining-physical-animation-with.html
- Millington, Ian. "Game Physics Engine Development: How to Build a Robust Commercial-Grade Physics Engine for Your Game." CRC Press. July 23, 2010.
- NaturalMotion. "Euphoria." (Sept. 4, 2015) http://www.naturalmotion.com/middleware/euphoria/
- Pitzel, Steve. "Character Animation: Skeletons and Inverse Kinematics." Intel Developer Zone. Sept. 9, 2011. (Sept. 4, 2015) https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/character-animation-skeletons-and-inverse-kinematics
- Solberg, Dan. "Why Are Ragdoll Physics So Funny?" Kill Screen Daily. April 1, 2014. (Sept. 4, 2015)