Olympus Stylus Tough
While this Olympus camera is technically for adults, it's also appropriate for tech-savvy older children. If your child really has an interest in photography and is responsible enough to take care of this camera, he'll enjoy the higher-quality images it produces compared to cameras that are geared toward kids.
When a camera has "tough" in its name, it better be durable, and that's the case with the Olympus Stylus Tough. It's waterproof for up to 10 feet and can survive a drop from 5 feet, which helps protect it against typical kid accidents. It also comes in a variety of colors for those who like to stand out from the crowd.
- Buckleitner, Warren. "A New Digital Camera for Kids." New York Times. July 22, 2009. (Feb. 26, 2011) http://gadgetwise.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/07/22/a-new-digital-camera-for-kids/
- Chen, Janice. "Back to School 2011: Top digital cameras for kids under $110." ZDNet.com. Aug. 17, 2011. (Feb. 26, 2012) http://www.zdnet.com/blog/digitalcameras/back-to-school-2011-top-digital-cameras-for-kids-under-110/5188
- Chen, Janice. "The best digital camera for kids (or, how to keep grubby hands off your camera." ZDNet.com. Sept. 11, 2008. (Feb. 26, 2012) http://www.zdnet.com/blog/digitalcameras/the-best-digital-camera-for-kids-or-how-to-keep-grubby-hands-off-your-camera/314
- Consumer Reports. "Reviews of kid cameras." July 2011. (Feb. 26, 2012) http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/electronics-computers/cameras-photography/kid-cameras/overview/index.htm
- Consumer Reports. "Digital Cameras: Olympus Stylus Tough-8010." (Mar. 4, 2012)http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/electronics-computers/cameras-photography/digital-cameras/point-shoot-digital-camera-ratings/models/overview/olympus-stylus-tough-8010-99030513.htm
- Crayola. "Our History: The History of Crayola." (Feb. 26, 2012) http://www.crayola.com/about/our-history/index.cfm?n_id=77
- Devaney, Erik. "Good Digital Cameras for Children." Salon.com. (Feb. 26, 2012) http://techtips.salon.com/good-digital-cameras-children-10168.html
- Harry Ransom Center. "Exhibitions: The First Photograph." (March 6, 2012) http://www.hrc.utexas.edu/exhibitions/permanent/wfp/
- Merriam Webster. "Oleginous." 2012. (Feb. 29, 2012) http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/oleaginous
- Olympus.com. "Tough TG-320." (March 4, 2012) http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/product.asp?product=1591
HowStuffWorks finds out what 'Hour of Code' is all about and how it can help children and adults learn about computer programming.