Facebook Mobile Protection
Though it's had a few privacy mishaps in the past, Facebook has learned to take online privacy more seriously. To that end, it has created a privacy guide formatted for mobile devices, available at m.facebook.com/privacy. When you reach the site, you'll need to log in, but from there, it's the same process to change your privacy settings as it is on the web site.
You can access this -- plus any of Facebook's privacy settings -- by going to Settings, then clicking on "Change" next to Privacy Settings. Just as you can on the main web site, you can set who can see your posts to friends, friends of friends, or everyone by default. You can also select specific people to share with (or not share with) and have those settings take effect instantly.
The app also shows you a detailed view of information you've shared with other apps and web sites so you can control what these companies have access to. Facebook also allows you to access any other app that supports Single Sign-On technology. Once you've signed into the Facebook app, you don't have to sign in again to use another Single Sign-On app, like Groupon or Yelp. The idea is to save you the frustration of typing in complicated passwords using tiny keys or on-screen keyboards.
For more information about Facebook, mobile apps and other related topics, follow the links below.
- Daw, David. "Facebook Launches Mobile Messaging App." PCWorld.com. Aug. 9, 2011. (Aug. 22, 2011) http://www.pcworld.com/article/237657/facebook_launches_mobile_messaging_app.html
- Heynen, Mark. "A Better Mobile Experience for More People." The Facebook Blog. Jan. 19, 2011. (Aug. 22, 2011) https://blog.facebook.com/blog.php?post=483824142130
- Protalinski, Emil. "Facebook saw record number of unique US visitors in July 2011." ZDNet.com, Aug. 22, 2011. (Aug. 25, 2011) http://www.zdnet.com/blog/facebook/facebook-saw-record-number-of-unique-us-visitors-in-july-2011/2894
- Ribeiro, Goncalo. "Facebook Releases Mobile App for 2500 Phones, Here's How to Get It Now." RedmondPie.com. July 13, 2011. (Aug. 22, 2011) http://www.redmondpie.com/facebook-releases-mobile-app-for-2500-phones-heres-how-to-get-it-now/
- Sharon, Michael Eyal. "Control Your Information: Anywhere, Anytime." The Facebook Blog. Aug. 4, 2010. (Aug. 22, 2011) https://blog.facebook.com/blog.php?post=413846952130
- Tseng, Erick. "Making Mobile More Social." The Facebook Blog. Nov. 3, 2010. (Aug. 22, 2011) https://blog.facebook.com/blog.php?post=463829602130
- Yao, Rose. "More Control on Mobile." The Facebook Blog. Dec. 8, 2010. (Aug. 22, 2011) https://blog.facebook.com/blog.php?post=463829602130