I carried my first forearm-sized cell phone for six years. In that time, I never replaced the battery and charged it roughly 12 times. That's perhaps exaggerating a bit, but then, that particular phone was good for one thing -- phone calls. I never used it for movies, gaming or other heavy-duty tasks.
So it was a bit of a shock to graduate to a smartphone, only to find that I'd have to charge the thing twice per day. I actually conditioned myself to use it less and less in order to spare the battery's charge in the event I needed it for an emergency. But avoiding technology because you're afraid of short battery life seems silly.
Now, I know a lot more about ways to force my phone to sip power instead of sucking it down like mad. Between smarter manual strategies like dimming the screen to battery-saving apps, a single charge lasts much longer and keeps me much happier.
- Captain, Sean. "The Surprising Reason Your Phone's Battery Life Drains." Mashable.com. June 15, 2012. (June 29, 2012) http://mashable.com/2012/06/15/why-phone-battery-drains/
- Escallier, Paul. "How To: Increase Your Smartphone's Battery Life." Toms Guide. March 12, 2012. (June 29, 2012) http://www.tomsguide.com/us/battery-life-android-ios-wp7,review-1741-2.html
- Geier, Eric. "11 Android Apps to Boost Speed, Battery Life and More." Computerworld.com. Sept. 16, 2011. (June 29, 2012) http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9220033/11_Android_apps_to_boost_speed_battery_life_and_more
- Geuss, Megan. "Why Your Smartphone Battery Sucks." PCWorld.com. May 18, 2011. (June 29, 2012) http://www.pcworld.com/article/228189/why_your_smartphone_battery_sucks.html
- Hackborn, Dianne. "Multitasking the Android Way." Android-Developers.blogspot.com. April 28, 2010. (June 29, 2012) http://android-developers.blogspot.com/2010/04/multitasking-android-way.html
- Hope, Dan. "How to Improve Android Smartphone Battery Life." Technewsdaily.com. May 4, 2011. (June 29, 2012) http://www.technewsdaily.com/2520-how-to-improve-android-smartphone-battery-life.html
- Kunzler, J. Glenn. "Getting the Best Battery Life from your iOS Device." Mactrast.com. March 23, 2012. (June 29, 2012) http://www.mactrast.com/2012/03/getting-the-best-battery-life-from-your-ios-device/
- MacManus, Chris. "Carat Promises to Polish Your Smartphone's Battery Life." CNET. June 15, 2012. (June 29, 2012) http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-57453564-1/carat-promises-to-polish-your-smartphones-battery-life/
- Pathak, Abhinav. Ph.D Candidate at Purdue University. Personal Interview. July 1, 2012.
- Rodriguez, Armando. "Task-Killer Apps: Will They Help or Hurt Your Battery Life." PCworld. Nov. 17, 2011. (June 29, 2012) http://www.pcworld.com/article/244067/taskkiller_apps_will_they_help_or_hurt_your_battery_life.html
- Smolaks, Max. "Free Apps Drain Smartphone Batteries." Techweek Europe. March 19, 2012. (June 29, 2012) http://www.techweekeurope.co.uk/news/free-apps-drain-smartphone-batteries-67893
- Spector, Lincoln. "Expand Your Smartphone's Battery Life." PCWorld. April 23, 2012. (June 29, 2012) http://www.pcworld.com/article/253750/expand_your_smartphones_battery_life.html
- Spring, Tom. "Sleazy Ads on Android Devices Push Bogus 'Battery Upgrade' Warnings." PCWorld. Oct. 16, 2011. (June 29, 2012) http://www.pcworld.com/article/241967/sleazy_ads_on_android_devices_push_bogus_battery_upgrade_warnings.html
- Strohmeyer, Robert. "10 Ways to Boost Your Smartphone's Battery Life." PCWorld. June 5, 2011. (June 29, 2012) http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/229300/10_ways_to_boost_your_smartphones_battery_life.html
- Venere, Emil. "'No-Sleep Energy Bugs' Drain Smartphone Batteries." Purdue University. June 13, 2012. (June 29, 2012) http://www.purdue.edu/newsroom/research/2012/120613HuSmartphoneBugs.html
- Wawro, Alex. "How to Boost Your Smartphone Battery Life." PCWorld. Nov. 11, 2011. (June 29, 2012) http://www.pcworld.com/article/243476/how_to_boost_your_smartphone_battery_life.html