While it's never a good idea to post pictures to Facebook unless you don't care who sees them, you probably never imagined that, even if you delete your account, Facebook could use those pictures for commercial purposes. That's the impression that recent changes to the company's Terms of Service (TOS) seemed to give, however.
The ensuing uproar over the changes prompted Facebook's founder, Mark Zuckerberg, to address the issue on the company's blog. Zuckerberg claims the changes clarified the way sites like Facebook work, pointing out that even if a user deletes his or her account, the content from that account might still exist on other users' pages. Accordingly, Facebook needs license to share those images with other members, but only in the way that users determine via their accounts' privacy settings. Most importantly, Zuckerberg insists that Facebook has no intention of selling users' pictures for any reason, though he admits that Facebook needs to work on clarifying the language to that effect.
For more information on social networking and related topics, look over the links on the following page.
- BBC News. "Facebook 'improves social skills'." Oct. 24, 2008. (8/7/2009) http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/cambridgeshire/7689077.stm
- BBC News. "Yahoo 'to buy Facebook for $1bn'." Sept. 21, 2006. (8/7/2009) http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/5367120.stm
- Boehlert, Eric. "The Press vs. Al Gore." Rolling Stone. Nov. 26, 2001. (8/7/2009) http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/5920188/the_press_vs_al_gore/print
- Business Week. "Sheryl Sandberg on Facebook's Future." April 8, 2009. (8/7/2009) http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/apr2009/tc2009048_429871.htm
- Daily Mail. "How Using Facebook Could Raise Your Risk of Cancer." Feb. 19, 2009. (8/7/2009) http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-1149207/How-using-Facebook-raise-risk-cancer.html
- The Economic Times. "Now, Microsoft mulls purchase of Facebook: Report." May 8, 2008. (8/7/2009) http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/Infotech/Internet_/Now_Microsoft_mulls_purchase_of_Facebook_Report/rssarticleshow/3020599.cms
- Hoffman, Claire. "The Battle for Facebook." Rolling Stone. June 6, 2008. (8/7/2009) http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/21129674/the_battle_for_facebook
- Kihn, Martin. "Send This Column to 1,000 Friend ...." Fast Company. Dec. 19, 2007. (8/7/2009) http://www.fastcompany.com/magazine/93/debunk.html
- Kincaid, Jason. "Law Firm Blunder Reveals Value Of Facebook Payout To ConnectU: $65 Million."
- Manjoo, Farhad. "A Radical Business Plan for Facebook: Charge People." Oct. 31, 2008. (8/7/2009) http://www.slate.com/id/2203436/pagenum/all/
- Medical News Today. "'Facebook Generation' Faces Identity Crisis." July 4, 2008. (8/7/2009) http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/113878.php
- McCarthy, Caroline. "Facebook: Relax, we won't sell your photos." CBS News. Feb. 17, 2009. (8/7/2009) http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/02/17/tech/cnettechnews/main4806690.shtml
- Sloane, Julie. "Facebook Got Its $15 Billion Valuation - Now What?." Wired. Oct. 26, 2007. (8/7/2009) http://www.wired.com/techbiz/startups/news/2007/10/facebook_future
- Tech Crunch. Feb. 10, 2009. (8/7/2009) http://www.techcrunch.com/2009/02/10/law-firm-blunder-reveals-value-of-facebookconnectu-settlement-65-million/
There are plenty of stories surrounding Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg. See these five myths about Mark Zuckerberg to find out fact from fiction.