Color isn't just a nice way to change the look of your kitchen. Color affects mood, serves as a powerful visual communicator, alters your physiology and basically plays a tremendous role in human life. Color is dynamic, fun and important.
Color-changing inks, then, are a fascinating study in both chemistry and psychology. If a fancy, candy-red blender can command a premium price, what kind of cash would you be willing to drop on one that changes color depending on whether you're blending hot soup or a frozen smoothie? And how much would you prefer wall paint that changes its hues depending on that day's thermostat setting?
The possibilities for these inks are getting broader by the day. Their future looks bright, and ours looks a lot more colorful.
- Agosta, Mike. "Specialty Inks: Thermochromic and Photochromic Inks are Extremely Useful in Both Security Applications and Interactive Packaging." Ink World. October 2002. http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_hb3143/is_10_8/ai_n28950200/
- Alsever, Jennifer. "Behind Coors' Color-Changing Beer Cans." CNN Money. Aug. 12, 2009. http://money.cnn.com/2009/07/13/smallbusiness/chromatic_color_changing_ink.fsb/index.htm
- AZoM.com. "Intelligent Window Coatings that Allow Light in but Keep Heat Out." Aug. 10, 2004. http://www.azom.com/article.aspx?ArticleID=2587
- Berzina, Dr. Zane. "Touch me." Zaneberzina.com. 2009. http://www.zaneberzina.com/touchme.htm
- The Canadian Design Resource. "Thermochromic Toilet Seat." Jan. 2, 2008. http://www.canadiandesignresource.ca/officialgallery/miscellaneous/thermochromic-toilet-seat/
- Chemistry Blog.com. "Coors Light Cold-Activated Bottles: How Does it Work?" Aug. 2, 2011. http://www.chemistry-blog.com/2011/08/02/coors-light-cold-activated-bottles-how-does-it-work/
- Chromazone. "Chromazone Finished Applications." http://www.chromazone.co.uk/Finished%20dispersion.htm
- CTI Inks. "Metal Deco FAQs." http://www.ctiinks.com/index.php?id=81&pid=22&page=Metal_FAQ
- Fashioning Technology. "Thermochromatic Wallpaper." May 11, 2009. http://www.fashioningtech.com/profiles/blogs/thermochromatic-wallpaper
- Fuhrmann, Ryan C. "The Most Counterfeit-Proof Currencies." SFgate.com. April 19, 2012. http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/g/a/2012/04/19/investopedia79741.DTL
- Gem'innov. "Applications of our Microcapsules." http://www.geminnov.com/geminnov/cms/128-99/domaines-d-applications-des-microcapsules.dhtml
- The Independent. "Thermochromic Urinal Delights Web Users, Plus More Heat-Sensitive Designs." May 7, 2011. http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/thermochromic-urinal-delights-web-users-plus-more-heatsensitive-designs-2280489.html
- Kiernan, Steven. "Smart Lid Systems creates thermochromic coffee-cup lid." Packaging News. Sept. 1, 2006. http://www.designbuzz.com/entry/thermochromic-urinal-a-bizarre-waste-disposal-system/
- LCR Hallcrest whitepaper. "Handbook of Thermochromic Liquid Crystal Technology." 1991. http://www.hallcrest.com/downloads/RT006%20randtk_TLC_Handbook.pdf
- Matsui International Company, Inc. "Chromicolor Temperature Range Chart." http://www.matsui-color.com/chromicolor_ink/range.php
- Mindsets Online. "Thermochromic Pigments." http://www.mindsetsonline.co.uk/images/SMARTCOLO.PDF
- Moving Color Inc. "Color Changing Tiles." http://www.movingcolor.net/index.html
- Packageprinting.com. "CTI Inks Adorns New Can Packaging for Hiball Energy." April 2, 2012. http://www.packageprinting.com/article/cti-s-thermochromic-inks-join-in-launch-of-hiball-energy-s-new-package-offering/1
- PatentStorm. "Thermochromic Ink Formulations, nail lacquer and Methods of Use." Dec. 7, 1999. http://www.patentstorm.us/patents/5997849/description.html
- Plastech Vortal. "Ball Further Enhances Thermochromic Ink Technology." March 18, 2011. http://www.plastech.biz/news/article_4499_1/Ball-further-enhances-thermochromic-ink-technology
- Sage, Ian. "Thermochromic Liquid Crystals." LCR Hallcrest. December 2011. http://lcrhallcrest.com/downloads/Thermochromic_LCs.pdf
- Weinger, Erin. "Hypercolor is Hot Again." The LA Times. July 6, 2008. http://www.latimes.com/features/la-ig-hypercolor6-2008jul06,0,1781041.story
- "Yearbook of Science and Technology." McGraw-Hill. 2008.