Lots More Information
The most super plugged-in know how difficult it is to break free of the biggest tech companies. HowStuffWorks looks at how hard it is and why.
Author's Note: 10 High-tech Tools on the Typical Farm
I'm no farmer, but I was certainly glad to learn about all of the technological advances coming to the agricultural industry. You see – like any urban yuppie worth his salt – I want my food organic, I want it fresh and I want it at the lowest possible price. I also don't really want to wait in line for it. Here's hoping that the push for efficiency eventually makes its way to my local farmers market.
- 5 Farming Technologies That Changed the World
- Farm Hacks - How Open Source Farm Technology Can Help Small Farmer Succeed
- What were the famous Eli Whitney inventions?
- Top 10 Scientific Breakthroughs We Literally Couldn't Live Without
- Top 10 Industrial Revolution Inventions
- Anderson, Chris. "Agricultural Drones." MIT Technology Review. April 30, 2014 (Aug. 25, 2014) http://www.technologyreview.com/featuredstory/526491/agricultural-drones/
- Beckham, Chris. "Cotton Irrigation App Helps Farmers Manage Water Usage." Farm Journal. May 5, 2014 (Aug. 25, 2014) http://www.agweb.com/farmjournal/article/cotton_irrigation_app_helps_farmers_manage_water_usage_NAA_University_News_Release/
- Coxworth, Ben. "Cows check in for meals using electronic ear tags." Gizmag. July 28, 2011 (Aug. 25, 2014) http://www.gizmag.com/electronic-ear-tags-for-cattle/19374/
- Espinoza, Javier. "Is the Driverless Tractor the Future for Farmers?" The Wall Street Journal. Nov. 20, 2013 (Aug. 25, 2014) http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702303936904579177531155474254
- Griffiths, Sarah. "From robotic milk maids to self-driving tractors and drones that monitor crops: Scientists reveal the future of farming." Daily Mail. June 5, 2014 (Aug. 26, 2014) http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2648499/From-robotic-milk-maids-self-driving-tractors-drones-monitor-crops-Scientists-reveal-future-farming.html
- History.com. "Cotton Gin and Eli Whitney." (Aug. 25, 2014) http://www.history.com/topics/inventions/cotton-gin-and-eli-whitney
- Howard, Fran. "Cloud Cover: How is Your Data Stored?" Farm Journal. July 26, 2014 (Aug. 25, 2014) http://www.agweb.com/farmjournal/article/cloud_cover_how_is_your_data_stored_NAA_Fran_Howard/Kinze Manufacturing. "Kinze Announces the World's First Electric Multi-Hybrid Concept Planter." Dec. 10, 2013. (Aug. 26, 2014) http://www.kinze.com/article.aspx?id=167&Kinze+Announces+the+World%27s+First+Electric+Multi-Hybrid+Concept+Planter
- McKinley, Jesse. "With Farm Robotics, the Cows Decide When It's Milking Time." The New York Times. April 22, 2014 (Aug. 25, 2014) http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/23/nyregion/with-farm-robotics-the-cows-decide-when-its-milking-time.html?_r=0
- Nolte, Beth. "Nitrogen from Fertilizers: Too Much of a Good Thing." ChemMatters. April 2010 (Aug. 25, 2014) http://www.acs.org/content/dam/acsorg/education/resources/highschool/chemmatters/archive/nitrogen-cm-april-2010.pdf
- Plumer, Brad. "Farmers turn to engineered corn to adapt to drought. But will it be enough?" The Washington Post. Aug. 15, 2012 (Aug. 25, 2014) http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2012/08/15/farmers-turn-to-engineered-corn-to-adapt-to-drought-but-will-it-be-enough/
- Potter, Ben. "High-Tech Soil Sampling." Farm Journal. Aug. 11, 2014 (Aug. 25, 2014) http://www.agweb.com/farmjournal/article/high-tech_soil_sampling_NAA_Ben_Potter/
- SmartIrrigation. "SmartIrrigation Apps." (Aug. 25, 2014) http://smartirrigationapps.org/
- Trimble. "GreenSeeker handheld crop sensor." (Aug. 25, 2014) http://www.trimble.com/Agriculture/gs-handheld.aspx
- Van Vark, Caspar. "From agribusiness to subsistence: high-tech tools now available to all." The Guardian. June 4, 2014 (Aug. 25, 2014) http://www.theguardian.com/global-development-professionals-network/2014/jun/04/subsistence-farming-precision-agriculture