CD Data Formats
There are several different formats used to store data on a CD, some widely used and some long-forgotten. The two most common are CD-DA (audio) and CD-ROM (computer data).
For more information on CDs and related topics, check out the links below.
Related HowStuffWorks Articles
- CD Quiz
- How do CD-Rs work?
- How Analog and Digital Recording Works
- How CD Burners Work
- How Removable Storage Works
- How Lasers Work
- How Speakers Work
- Is the sound on vinyl records better than on CDs or DVDs?
- What happens if I touch the surface of a CD?
- Why does it say 1-bit Dual D/A converter on my CD player?
- How can I burn MP3s from my computer onto CD-Rs?