Author's Note: How the Dyson Bladeless Fan Works
I actually played with one of the first Multiplier fans when they first hit the tech scene. The design was inarguably eye-catching and sleek and modern. It really looked quieter. But it wasn't as quiet as many people hoped, making the updated and much quieter version inevitable. Now the fan has less turbulence, and thus less noise. Now, if only Dyson would price its fans at a point that they wouldn't cause so much noise in my checking account, maybe we'd be getting somewhere. - NC
Related HowStuffWorks Articles
- Balinkski, Brent. "New Dyson Fan Took 65 Engineers, $75M to Create." Manufacturer's Monthly. March 7, 2014. (March 13, 2014) http://www.manmonthly.com.au/news/new-dyson-fan-took-65-engineers-3-years-$75-m-to-c
- Carnoy, David. "Dyson unveils blade-free fan." CNET Crave. Oct. 12, 2009. (Oct. 14, 2009) http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-10373251-1.html
- Dyson. "Say Goodbye to the Blade." Dyson press release. Oct. 12, 2009.
- Dyson.com. "Fans." (Oct. 14, 2009)http://www.dyson.com/fans/default.asp
- Dyson Product Page. "Air Multiplier." (March 13, 2014.) http://www.dyson.com/Fans-and-heaters/cooling-fans.aspx?utm_source=offline&utm_medium=redirect&utm_content=am06_tech_print_ad&utm_campaign=2014_environmental-control
- Gammack, Peter David et al. "Bladeless fan assembly." U.S. Patent Application 20090060711A1. March 5, 2009.
- Liszewski, Andrew. "Dyson's Bladeless Fans are Now 75 Percent Quieter." Gizmodo. March 5, 2014. http://gizmodo.com/dysons-bladeless-fans-are-now-75-percent-quieter-1528055045
- Morgan, Tom. "Second Generation Dyson Cool Air Multiplier Fan Now Quieter than Ever." ExpertReviews. March 7, 2014. (March 13, 2014.) http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/gadgets/1306366/second-generation-dyson-cool-air-multiplier-fan-now-quieter-than-ever
- Noise Abatement Society. "Quiet Mark." http://noiseabatementsociety.com/quiet-mark/
- Prindle, Drew. "Dyson Claims that its New Bladeless Fan is 75 Percent Quieter than Older Models." Digital Trends. March 6, 2014. (March 13, 2014.) http://www.digitaltrends.com/home/dysons-new-bladeless-fan-75-percent-quieter/
- Rhodes, Margaret. "A Dyson Engineer Explains Why the New Fans are Even Quieter." Fast Company Design. March 6, 2014. (March 13, 2014.) http://www.fastcodesign.com/3027345/a-dyson-engineer-explains-why-the-new-fans-are-even-quieter