Lots of movies today feature businesses and governmental entities with facial recognition software in place, usually to keep unauthorized personnel from accessing areas with highly-classified information and priceless goods. Eventually, many of us may be able to install this software in our own homes. Why would we want to? Video cameras at our doors could identify our family and friends, plus strangers. If a stranger does ring our doorbell, the system could then immediately run the person's mug against all the faces in our criminal and terrorist databases, so we don't let in some really bad dude [source: Future Technology Portal]. Of course, sometimes a family member or friend turns out to be a bad guy.
There are numerous companies currently working with facial recognition software, for both business and personal use. When and if it becomes widely available isn't yet known. Android currently has a face-unlock feature in its Android 4 operating system, aka Ice Cream Sandwich. But if you hold up a photo of the authorized user, it can be fooled [source: Bonnington]. So, it seems we have a ways to go on this one.
Author's Note: 5 Future Home Technologies You'll Love
I don't need a robot. I don't even think I'd like it, actually. But a smart toilet? Sign me up for that one!
- Bonnington, Christina. "Apple Patent Describes a More Secure Face-Recognition System." Wired. May 10, 2012. (Sept. 9, 2012) http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2012/05/apple-3d-facial-recognition/
- Future Technologies. "Lighting Control Benefits & Possibilities." (Sept. 4, 2012) http://futuretechnologiesinc.com/index/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=29&Itemid=26
- Future Technologies. "Track Power." (Sept. 4, 2012) http://futuretechnologiesinc.com/index/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=49&Itemid=38
- Future Technology Portal. "Future Home." (Sept. 4, 2012) http://www.futuretechnologyportal.com/future-home.htm
- Mapes, Diane. "Are you ready for the toilet of the future?" MSNBC. March 10, 2010. (Aug. 4, 2012) http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/35787518/ns/technology_and_science-innovation/t/are-you-ready-toilet-future/#.UEY14NmsRj4
- Ngo, Denise. "Archive Gallery: PopSci Envisions Your Future Home." Feb. 25, 2011. (Sept. 4, 2012) http://www.popsci.com/technology/article/2011-02/archive-gallery-popsci-envisions-your-future-home
- Powerhouse Dynamics. "Residential eMonitor Overview." (Sept. 9, 2012) http://www.powerhousedynamics.com/residential-energy-efficiency/
- Schirber, Michael. "How Smart Homes Could Power the Future." Live Science. July 23, 2008. (Sept. 4, 2012) http://www.livescience.com/5019-smart-homes-power-future.html
- Science Daily. "New Generation Of Home Robots Have Gentle Touch." July 14, 2008. (Sept. 4, 2012) http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/07/080710113026.htm
- Seattle. "House of the Near Future Loaded with Energy Saving Design." Aug. 28, 2012. (Sept. 4, 2012) http://powerlines.seattle.gov/2012/08/28/house-of-the-near-future-loaded-with-energy-saving-design/
Elon Musk is a forward-thinking futurist with a penchant for controversy. Learn 10 intriguing things about Elon Musk in our HowStuffWorks article.