With Reader Rabbit and his friends your kids can develop language arts, science, problem solving and math skills by playing fun, engaging mini games suitable for a variety of skill levels. Learn counting and money skills with Silly Sandwich Shop; hone your addition skills with Raingear Forest Math; develop spelling skills with Cheese Brick Spelling; recognize shapes with Sparkle Shape Mining and much more in this educational game series.
Reader Rabbit games are available both for different age groups and for focusing on different skills. Toddler, Pre-School, Kindergarten, 1st Grade and 2nd Grade versions introduce a broad range of learning activities designed for your child's skill level. Other games like Reader Rabbit Learn to Read with Phonics, Reader Rabbit Math and Reader Rabbit Playtime for Baby and Toddler focus on specific skills. Three Reader Rabbit games won a Parents' Choice Approved award in 2011.
For more about games, kids and learning, take a peek at the links below.
- Alexander, Scott. "Best Educational Video Games." Family Circle. (Feb. 14, 2012) http://www.familycircle.com/family-fun/video-games/smart-video-game-picks/
- Big Brain Academy. "How to Play." (Feb. 20, 2012) http://bigbrainacademy.com/ds/how/index.html
- Chang, Kenneth. "White House Pushes Science and Math Education" New York Times, Nov. 22, 2009. (Feb. 20, 2012) http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/23/science/23educ.html?_r=1&hpw
- Endless Ocean. "Story." (Feb. 25, 2012) http://www.endlessocean.com/#/story/
- Entertainment Software Association. "Games: Improving Education." (Feb. 19, 2012) http://www.theesa.com/games-improving-what-matters/education.asp
- Heuscher, Sharon. "Reader Rabbit - 1st Grade." Parents' Choice, 2011. (Feb. 25, 2012) http://www.parents-choice.org/product.cfm?product_id=29793&StepNum=1&award=aw
- Heuscher, Sharon. "Reader Rabbit - 2nd Grade." Parents' Choice, 2011. (Feb. 25, 2012) http://www.parents-choice.org/product.cfm?product_id=29794&StepNum=1&award=aw
- Heuscher, Sharon. "Reader Rabbit - 1st Grade." Parents' Choice, 2011. (Feb. 25, 2012) http://www.parents-choice.org/product.cfm?product_id=29791&StepNum=1&award=aw
- Jackson, Mike. "LittleBigPlanet 2 getting 'Teacher Pack' for school lessons." Computer and Video Games, March 15, 2011. (Feb. 23, 2012) http://www.computerandvideogames.com/293705/littlebigplanet-2-getting-teacher-pack-for-school-lessons/
- Kraft, Amy. "Scribblenauts." Parents' Choice, 2010. (Feb. 19, 2012) http://www.parents-choice.org/product.cfm?product_id=27602&award=xx&from=Search%20Results
- Kraft, Amy. "Super Scribblenauts." Parents' Choice, 2011. (Feb. 19, 2012) http://www.parents-choice.org/product.cfm?product_id=28939&award=xx&from=Search%20Results
- LeapFrog. "Leapster®2 Learning System." (Feb. 24, 2012). http://shop.leapfrog.com/leapfrog/jump/Leapster%AE2-Learning-System/productDetail/Leapster-Handhelds/lfprod21155/cat90006
- Lenhart, Amanda, Joseph Kahne, Ellen Middaugh, Alexandra Rankin Macgill, Chris Evans, and Jessica Vitak. "Teens, Video Games, and Civics: Teens' gaming experiences are diverse and include significant social interaction and civic engagement." Pew Internet and American Life Project, Sept. 16, 2008. (Feb. 24, 2011) http://www.cbsnews.com/htdocs/pdf/PIP_Teens_Games_and_Civics_Report_FINAL.pdf
- Oldenburg, Don. "Professor Layton and the Unwound Future." Parents' Choice, 2011. (Feb. 19, 2012) http://www.parents-choice.org/product.cfm?product_id=29003&award=xx&from=Search%20Results
- Olsen, Stefanie. "Educational Video Games Mix Cool With Purpose." New York Time, Nov. 1, 2009. (Feb.0, 2012) http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/02/technology/02games.html
- Scholastic. "Magic School Bus Games and Activities." (Feb. 20, 2012) http://www.scholastic.com/magicschoolbus/games/
- Techopedia. "Emergent Gameplay." (Feb. 25, 2012) http://www.techopedia.com/definition/27043/emergent-gameplay
- Totilo, Stephen. "Obama and LittleBigPlanet Team Up, For Kids." Kotaku, Nov. 23, 2009. (Feb. 20, 2012) http://kotaku.com/5410944/obama-and-littlebigplanet-team-up-for-kids
- Video Games Blogger. "Scribblenauts Dictionary List of All 22, 802 Words." Sept 12, 2009. (Feb. 25, 2012) http://www.videogamesblogger.com/2009/09/12/scribblenauts-dictionary-list-of-all-22802-words.htm
HowStuffWorks finds out what 'Hour of Code' is all about and how it can help children and adults learn about computer programming.