I'm generally more of a fan of the film on the screen than the technological route it takes to get there, but I have to admit that the optical wizardry inside these projectors really impressed me. The idea of dichroically reflected light and recombined triple images feels very magical -- like something the Skeksis might use to drain a Gelfling's mojo.
I've toyed around with one of these to project images during parties and art shows, and the image is indeed quite crisp and vibrant. Plus, as noted in the article, the average price tag is far easier on the wallet than the kind of dough you'd have to drop for a professional-grade DLP projector.
- 3LCD.com. 2012. (May 14, 2012) http://www.3lcd.com/
- "About us." 3-DVision.com. (May 18, 2012) http://www.3-dvision.com/about-us.htm
- "How LCD Projectors Work." ProjectorPeople.com. September 2007. (May 14, 2012) http://www.projectorpeople.com/lcd-projectors/
- LCD Projectors. Bamboo AV. 2011. (May 14, 2012) http://www.bambooav.com/lcd-projectors.html
- Powell, Evan. "The Technology War: LCD vs. DLP." ProjectorCentral.com. July 28, 2009. (May 18, 2012) http://www.projectorcentral.com/lcd_dlp_comparison.htm?page=LCD-Advantages-and-Limitations