Earlier, we considered using sites like eBay to sell stuff that you don't need. But you can also use websites to sell your original creations. Certain websites like Etsy.com and ArtFire.com are dedicated to matching the artists who create things by hand with the customers who appreciate and want to purchase their handmade goods.
If you're like most people, the word handmade probably brings to mind some traditional crafts like knitting, crochet, needlework, quilting, painting and sculpting. Handmade items don't stop there, though. You can also market woodworking, glasswork, metalwork and anything else you're capable of building at home. Be sure to focus on projects that you're already good at or that you have a passion for so you don't burn out producing each new item.
Etsy, ArtFire and the like usually let you set up your own shop for free or for a very small fee for each item you list there. If you have a small home-based operation, this could be a better deal than setting up your own site. For many people, hosting and managing an entire website might very well be a full-time job by itself.
The biggest challenge for selling homemade goods is making back the cost of what you put into it. Not only do you want to be reimbursed for materials, but you also want to be paid proportional to the time you put into it. Keep track of your sales and purchases carefully in the first few months, and make adjustments as necessary to maximize your profit.
More Great Links
- Bhattarai, Abha. "Find an undervalued asset. Fix it up. Flip it. (Now it's Websites, not houses)." The New York Times. July 29, 2008. (March 2, 2009) http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/29/technology/29flip.html?_r=1
- Cuthbertson, Anthony. "Facebook is Officially for Old People." Newsweek. Feb. 12, 2018. (May 30, 2018) http://www.newsweek.com/facebook-officially-old-people-803196
- DeMers, Jayson. "5 Skills Your Social Media Manager Must Have." Forbes. June 8, 2015. (May 30, 2018) https://www.forbes.com/sites/jaysondemers/2015/06/08/5-skills-your-social-media-manager-must-have/#74c84d39ac56
- Hunt, Bill. "Hreflang Implementation: The 8 Biggest SEO Misconceptions." SearchEngineJournal.com. March 7, 2018. (May 30, 2018) https://www.searchenginejournal.com/hreflang-implementation-mistakes/240451/
- Muller, Anthony. "It's Alive! Image SEO is Back from the Dead." SearchEngineLand.com. May 29, 2018. (May 30, 2018) https://searchengineland.com/its-alive-image-seo-is-back-from-the-dead-298751
- Talk2Rep. "Contact Applications." (Nov. 20, 2011) http://www.talk2rep.com/contact-applications.htm
- Tutor.com. "Frequently Asked Questions." (Nov. 20, 2011) http://www.tutor.com/apply/tutoring-faq
Do you know how to find the right laptop? Find out how to find the right laptop in this article from HowStuffWorks.
Last editorial update on Jul 13, 2018 04:18:16 pm.