Lots More Information
HowStuffWorks Looks at the Turing Test and whether it has been passed by an intelligent artificial being or not.
Author's Note: 10 Futurist Predictions in the World of Transportation
After a few years as a freelance auto journalist, I became a little wary of "futuristic" promises and predictions (and based on the blogs and glossies' output, not much has improved.). Everything was revolutionary. It was easy to lose perspective.
My initial research yielded a stockpile of photos of monorail-esque designs, and I had another flashback: A post-college trip to Walt Disney World with an old friend. (Clearly, this was before I suffered the aforementioned disillusionment.) And that was when I discovered the glory of the PeopleMover. There was no line, so we ambled aboard and rested while we drank coffee and enjoyed the park scenery.
My friend filled me in on the PeopleMover's past life as the "Tomorrowland Transit Authority," which I found a bit baffling: even primitive monorail designs seemed more efficient and useful. Even considering Disney's tendency to take itself way too seriously, how could this amusement park ride have any serious potential as a method of mass transit? But, I soon learned, and as you know by now, there is another PeopleMover in Detroit, where again, it serves no greater purpose than amusing tourists.
At least I can look at the PeopleMover and be glad I've got Chicago's El tracks instead. Now if only I could commute to work on something like the Big Thunder Mountain Railroad. Get on that, Disney.
- Aptera Motors. "Aptera." (Aug. 15, 2012) http://www.aptera.com/
- CNET. "Ten awesome personal submarines." March 31, 2012. (Aug.15, 2012) http://news.cnet.com/2300-10801_3-10011803.html
- Detroit Transportation Corporation. "Detroit People Mover." (Aug. 8, 2012) http://www.thepeoplemover.com/WE-LL-TAKE-YOU-THERE!.id.2.htm
- Gantert, Tim. "Pricey pensions for Detroit's roller-coaster for rich people." Spero News. Feb. 27, 2011. (Aug. 15, 2012) http://www.speroforum.com/a/49326/Pricey-pensions-for-Detroits-rollercoaster-for-rich-people
- Greenemeier, Larry. "The Trouble With Rocket Packs." Scientific American. April 29, 2008. (Aug. 13, 2012) http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=rocket-pack
- Hart, Steve. "Futuristic electric vehicle to be built in Santa Rosa." Press Democrat. May 11, 2012. (Aug. 15, 2012) http://www.pressdemocrat.com/article/20120511/BUSINESS/120519866
- Kim, Susanna. "Aptera Employees Destroy Futuristic Vehicles." ABC News. Dec. 8, 2011. (Aug. 6, 2012) http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/business/2011/12/aptera-employees-destroy-futuristic-vehicles/
- Kirsner, Scott. "Breakout Artist." Wired. August 2009. (Aug. 12, 2012.) http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/8.09/kamen_pr.html
- Klayman, Ben. "Report: Self-driving cars could hit showrooms by 2019." Chicago Tribune. (Aug. 15, 2012) http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/breaking/chi-report-selfdriving-cars-could-hit-showrooms-by-2019-20120815,0,7617197.story
- Martin Aircraft Company. "The Martin Jetpack." (Aug. 13, 2012) http://martinjetpack.com/
- National Geographic. "Pictures: Amazing Transportation Inventions." Nov. 23, 2011. (Aug. 6, 2012) http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/energy/2011/11/pictures/111123-amazing-transportation-ideas/
- Regents of the University of California. "Transportation Futuristics: A Presentation of the Harmer E. Davis Transportation Library." 2010. (Aug. 3, 2012) http://www.lib.berkeley.edu/news_events/futuristics/
- Roadable Times. "The Helica." (Aug. 15, 2012) http://www.roadabletimes.com/roadable_experi_helica.html
- Shweeb Monorail Technology. "Shweeb." (Aug. 15, 2012) http://shweeb.com/
- Spinelli, Mike. "Prop-Driven Car Draws Flames." Jalopnik. Jan. 5, 2006. (Aug. 15, 2012) http://jalopnik.com/#!146820/prop+driven-car-draws-flames
- Squatriglia, Chuck. "We Drive the Aptera, and It's a Real Car." April 21, 2009. (Aug. 15, 2012) Wired. http://www.wired.com/autopia/2009/04/we-drive-the-ap/
- Springer, Kate. "Beam Them Up, Scotty: Chinese Physicists Reportedly Break Teleportation Record." Time.com. May 15, 2012. (Aug. 8, 2012) http://newsfeed.time.com/2012/05/15/beam-them-up-scotty-chinese-physicists-reportedly-break-teleportation-record/
- Stevenson, Seth. "Grounded: A Down to Earth Journey Around the World." Riverhead Trade. April 2010.