Lots More Information
Author's Note: Why don't carriers want a 'kill switch' for stolen phones?
When I first considered this question, I thought, "Yes, why don't they?" I had a phone stolen several years ago, before phones were smart and before tracking apps were the norm. It wasn't possible to brick the phone, even when I reported it to the carrier, so I tracked the incoming and outgoing calls through my phone bill. I tracked a landline to a particular address and alerted police. They weren't as impressed with my detective skills as I was, and my phone was never recovered. I was, however, eventually able to suspend the phone's service -- but only after I paid the bill for the calls the thief made.
- Ben-Achour, Sabri. "Why are cell phone carriers rejecting the 'kill switch'?" Marketplace. Dec. 11, 2013 (Dec. 12, 2013). http://www.marketplace.org/topics/business/why-are-cell-phone-carriers-rejecting-kill-switch
- Consumer Reports. "With 1.6 Million Smart Phones Stolen Last Year, Efforts Underway to Stem Losses." June 3, 2013. (Dec. 9, 2013) http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2013/06/with-1-6-million-smart-phones-stolen-last-year-efforts-under-way-to-stem-the-losses/index.htm
- Goglak, E.C. "Smartphone Makers Pressed to Address Growing Theft Problem." The New York Times. June 13, 2013. (Dec. 6, 2013) http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/06/13/smartphone-makers-pressed-to-address-growing-theft-problem/
- Pepitone, Julianne. "Would a Smartphone 'Killswitch' Deter Thieves?" CNN. June 13, 2013. (Dec. 6, 2013) http://money.cnn.com/2013/06/13/technology/mobile/smartphone-theft/
- Ribeiro, John. "Carriers Say Smartphone 'Kill Switch' Would be a Juicy Target for Hackers." PC World. Nov. 21, 2013. (Dec. 6, 2013) http://www.pcworld.com/article/2065820/carriers-say-smartphone-kill-switch-attractive-to-hackers.html
- Rouse, Margaret. "IMEI." WhatIs. June 2012. (Dec. 6, 2013) http://whatis.techtarget.com/definition/IMEI-International-Mobile-Equipment-Identity
- Schwartz, Mathew. "The Trouble with Smartphone Kill Switches." Information Week. Aug. 13, 2013. (Dec. 11, 2013) http://www.informationweek.com/mobile/the-trouble-with-smartphone-kill-switches/d/d-id/1111143
- The District of Columbia Metropolitan Police Department. "Stolen Smart Phone? Brick It." (Dec. 6, 2013) http://mpdc.dc.gov/page/stolen-smart-phone-brick-it
- Warranty Week. "Mobile Phone Insurance Market Shares." Nov. 14, 2013. (Dec. 6, 2013) http://www.warrantyweek.com/archive/ww20131114.html
- Wollan, Malia. "Outsmarting Smartphone Thieves." The New York Times. May 8, 2013. (Dec. 6, 2013) http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/09/technology/personaltech/outsmarting-smartphone-thieves.html