Oh, if only holograms were real. I wish holograms were around the corner, but the truth is that gamers will be making do with their TVs for a long time to come. I had fun looking through some of the most promising holographic patents out there, but even if the technology was for sale right now (and it's not) it would still be tough to market to gamers at a reasonable price. But I'm extremely excited about Oculus Rift -- I think head-mounted displays may end up being more immersive than holograms, anyway -- and so far, the technology looks like it has a ton of potential. If enough game developers support it, this could be the tech that justifies 3-D.
- Bilton, Richard. "Forget video games: How about playing with holograms." Oct. 9, 2012. (Oct. 10, 2012) http://venturebeat.com/2012/10/09/forget-video-games-infinite-z-and-unity-want-you-to-play-with-holograms/
- FAQS.org. "Immersive Display Experience." Sept. 6, 2012. (Oct. 8, 2012) http://www.faqs.org/patents/app/20120223885#b
- Graziano, Dan. "Global LCD TV shipments fall for the first time ever." June 21, 2012. (Oct. 11, 2012) http://www.bgr.com/2012/06/21/global-tv-sales-lcd-shipments-down/
- Kickstarter.com. "Oculus Rift: Step Into the Game." (Oct. 10, 2012) http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1523379957/oculus-rift-step-into-the-game
- Purcher, Jack. "Whoa - Apple Wins a 3D Display & Imaging System Patent Stunner." Sept. 13, 2011. (Oct. 9, 2012) http://www.patentlyapple.com/patently-apple/2011/09/whoa-apple-wins-a-3d-display-imaging-system-patent-stunner.html
- Sony.com. "Personal 3D Viewer." (Oct. 11, 2012) http://store.sony.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&identifier=S_Personal_3DViewer
- Wilson, Mark. zSpace: A Real Holographic Display Worthy of Iron Man." July 17, 2012. (Oct. 11, 2012) http://www.fastcodesign.com/1670251/zspace-a-real-holographic-display-worthy-of-iron-man#1