I live in Los Angeles, a city widely known for its (over) reliance on automobiles. And yet the other day, while standing on a street corner near Hollywood, I saw a parade of people pass by on Segways, a vehicle you'd be unlikely to see on the famous network of LA freeways. It was oddly exciting to realize that, even here in the heart of automobile land, there were people looking for simpler, less environmentally damaging ways to get around. It's also nice to see that there are companies, like Segway and Inventist, that are committed to developing alternatives to cars. Not that I'm knocking automobiles -- I drive a Prius myself when I'm not walking or on my bicycle -- but cars aren't always the most appropriate form of transportation. If all you need is a vehicle that will take you a few miles without a passenger in tow, consider a less powerful alternative, be it a bicycle, a Segway -- or a Solowheel. You'll be healthier for it and the earth will be a better place. And those LA freeways will be a lot less clogged with traffic when I get on them with my Prius.
- Day, Karen. "Solowheel: A next-gen Segway in unicycle form." Cool Hunting. (May 21, 2012) http://www.coolhunting.com/design/solowheel.php
- Heimbuch, Jaymie. "CES 2012: Solowheel Working To Reinvent Cycling -- Unicycling, That Is." Treehugger.com. (May 21, 2012) http://www.treehugger.com/gadgets/ces-2012-solowheel-working-to-reinvent-cycling-unicycling-that-is.html
- Inventist. (May 21, 2012) http://www.inventist.com/
- Ridden, Paul. "Solowheel: self-balancing last mile transport for the upstanding commuter." Gizmag.com. (May 21, 2012) http://www.gizmag.com/solowheel-gyro-stabilized-electric-unicycle/17900/
- Schulman, Jacob. "Solowheel self-balancing unicycle is as easy to ride as it is to afford." Engadget.com. (May 21, 2012) http://www.engadget.com/2011/02/15/solowheel-self-balancing-unicycle-is-as-easy-to-ride-as-it-is-to/
- Solowheel.com. "Solowheel." (May 21, 2012) http://solowheel.com/
- YouTube.com. "Solowheel." (May 21, 2012) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOOoFEKiK8A