The Large Hadron Collider is so cool, it's easy to forget CERN is a huge scientific organization undertaking all sorts of experiments that don't involve slamming atoms together! The faster-than-light neutrino experiment is a great example: The results got tons of publicity because you don't need a brain for physics to understand nothing travels faster than the speed of light. You also don't need a mind for physics to start dreaming up the sci-fi potential of faster-than-light travel! I almost wish OPERA's findings had borne out. How cool would that have been?
- Brown, Eryn and Amina Khan. "Faster than light? CERN findings bewilder scientists." Sept. 23, 2011. (July 5, 2012) http://articles.latimes.com/2011/sep/23/science/la-sci-0923-speed-of-light-20110923
- Jordans, Frank. The Associated Press. "CERN researchers find flaw in faster-than-light measurement." Feb. 23, 2012. (July 5, 2012) http://www.csmonitor.com/Science/2012/0223/CERN-researchers-find-flaw-in-faster-than-light-measurement
- Kluger, Jeffrey. "Einstein Was Right All Along: 'Faster-Than-Light' Neutrino Was Product of Error." Feb. 22, 2012. (July 5, 2012) http://newsfeed.time.com/2012/02/22/einstein-was-right-all-along-faster-than-light-neutrino-was-product-of-error/
- Operaweb.lngs.infn.it. "About OPERA." (July 5, 2012) http://operaweb.lngs.infn.it/spip.php?rubrique1
- Press.web.cern.ch. "CERN Press Release." (July 5, 2012) http://press.web.cern.ch/press/PressReleases/Releases2011/PR19.11E.html
- Timmer, John. "Faster-than-light neutrino result reportedly a mistake caused by loose cable - UPDATED." Feb. 22, 2012. (July 5, 2012) http://arstechnica.com/science/2012/02/faster-than-light-neutrino-result-apparently-a-mistake-due-to-loose-cable/