When our robot masters finally rise up to destroy their naive creators, we will be prepared, I hope, to meet our decapitations with equanimity. That said, having our heads subsequently spiked as part of some robotic touchdown dance strikes me as excessive.
Which raises the question: Do we need a dancing robot-speaker? Silly consumer, of course we do! I mean, you might as well ask if we needed a Big Mouth Billy Bass, a Let's Rock Elmo or a Furby ... ah, yes; point taken.
Look, isn't life's dance floor strewn with tiny humiliations enough already? Do we really need to add another? Are we supposed to lose our jobs AND our dance partners to these transistorized TraVOLTas? If you ask me, the whole thing will end in tears -- likely following the inevitable humans-vs.-robots, John Henry-esque dance-off (tragically, all humans perish, consumed in a disco inferno).
After that, there'll be no saving us -- unless, that is, Dr. Funkenstein and his agents of Supergroovalisticprosifunkstication return in their P-Funk Mothership to provide funk deliverance.
I can picture it now: Bootsy Collins beaming down to some Australian discotheque to rescue Sarah Connor. As he extends his ring-bedecked hand, he utters those nine fateful words:
"Funk with me if you want to live, baby."
- Albanesius, Chloe. "Justin Bieber Shows Off Dancing Robot at CES." PC Magazine. Jan. 11, 2012. (May 8, 2012) http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2398806,00.asp
- Aldebaran Robotics. NAO Robot Web Site. (May 9, 2012) http://www.aldebaran-robotics.com/en/Home/welcome.html?language=en-GB
- BeatBots. My Keepon Web Site. (May 9, 2012) http://mykeepon.com/
- Borel, Brooke. "A Ping-Pong-Playing Terminator." Popular Science. Feb. 16, 2010. (May 10, 2012) http://www.popsci.com/technology/article/2010-02/ping-pong-playing-terminator
- CBS News. "Animals Shown To 'Dance' To Music." April 30, 2009. (May 10, 2012) http://www.cbsnews.com/2100-205_162-4981259.html
- Good Housekeeping. "Good Housekeeping's Best Toy Awards 2011." (May 9, 2012) http://shopping.yahoo.com/articles/yshoppingarticles/752/good-housekeeping039s-best-toy-awards-2011/
- Graham, Martha. "The American Dance." In Modern Dance, Mary Wigman and Virginia Stewart, eds. 1935.
- Honda. Asimo Web Site. (May 10, 2012) http://asimo.honda.com/default.aspx
- Iozzio, Corinne. "PopSci's Ultimate Robot Dance-Off." Popular Science. Feb. 15, 2012. (May 9, 2012) http://www.popsci.com/gadgets/article/2012-02/cast-your-vote-popscis-robot-dance
- Mattel. Fijit Friends FAQ and Troubleshooting. 2012. (May 9, 2012) http://www.fijitfriends.com/faq.aspx
- Sandisk. "Number of Songs that Can Be Stored on a Memory Card or Sansa Player." (May 9, 2012)http://kb.sandisk.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/74/~/number-of-songs-that-can-be-stored-on-a-memory-card-or-sansa-player
- TOSY Robotics. DiscoRobo Web Site. (May 8, 2012) http://www.tosy.com/en/products/hitech-toys/discorobo/
- TOSY Robotics. mRobo Ultra Bass Web Site. (May 8, 2012) http://www.tosy.com/en/products/personal-robots/mrobo/
- TOSY Robotics. "TOSY Robotics Introduces Transforming Dancing Robot Called mRobo Ultra Bass." (May 8, 2012)http://www.tosy.com/en/press/tosy-robotics/
- Trang, Pham. International PR Manager, TOSY Robotics. Personal correspondence. May 11, 2012.