Author's Note: Could a wristband replace air conditioning?
Even if Wristify is indeed the wave of the future and in a few short years we're all wearing personalized wristbands that let us maintain optimal comfort (it will probably be a device that also lets us make phone calls, surf the Web and even monitor outside temperatures), I'm going to go out on a limb and say that there will still be huge swaths of the U.S. that are off limits to me most parts of the year simply because they're too cold. I don't like the cold. More importantly, I don't like the gray, overcast skies that often accompany frigid temperatures. Call me a self-diagnosed sufferer of seasonal affective disorder, but cloudy skies and 5 p.m. nightfalls put a damper on my day. A wristband that can warm me up on a chilly afternoon sounds nice, but what I really want is a device that brings out the sun.
- Burlingame, Liz. "Wristify: New Wristband Keeps Your Body at the Perfect Temperature." The Weather Channel. Nov. 4, 2013. (Nov. 25, 2013) http://www.weather.com/health/mit-students-invent-wristify-bracelet-fools-your-body-never-feeling-too-hot-or-cold-20131103
- Matheson, Rob. "'Cool' invention wins first place at MADMEC." MIT News. Oct. 16, 2013. (Nov. 25, 2013) http://web.mit.edu/newsoffice/2013/madmec-design-competition-1017.html
- U.S. Energy Information Administration. "Heating and cooling no longer majority of U.S. home energy use." March 7, 2013. (Nov. 25, 2013)
- Vincent, James. "Forget your jumper, this thermoelectric wristband can heat or cool your entire body." The Independent. Nov. 1, 2013. (Nov. 25, 2013) http://www.eia.gov/todayinenergy/detail.cfm?id=10271http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/news/forget-your-jumper-this-thermoelectric-wristband-can-heat-or-cool-your-entire-body-8918320.html
- Vanhemert, Kyle. "MIT Wristband Could Make AC Obsolete." Wired. Oct. 30, 2013. (Nov. 25, 2013) http://www.wired.com/design/2013/10/an-ingenious-wristband-that-keeps-your-body-at-the-perfect-temperature-no-ac-required/
- Wristify. "FAQ." (Nov. 25, 2013) http://wristifyme.com/faq