Lots More Information
The quantum internet would use the quirky behavior of tiny particles to enable applications not possible with today's internet.
Author's Note: 5 Therapeutic Ways to Use Virtual Reality
Virtual reality is pretty amazing: it's awesome for recreation, cool for communication. But it's also an extraordinarily effective tool for making therapeutic activities safe, specific and testable. As if you couldn't tell from the piece, there's not a lot more uplifting than seeing dramatically disabled children play realistically physical games in a virtual environment. While it might make sense to test phobia reactions in virtual reality, the idea of pain management and schizophrenia treatment is surprising. Clearly, there's still a lot of room for virtual reality to help therapeutic practice.
- Bohil, Corey J, et al. "Virtual reality in neuroscience research and therapy." Nature.com. December 2011. (Sept. 20, 2012) http://www.pspc.unige.it/~mosip/Virtual_reality_in_neuroscience_research_and_therapy.pdf
- Freeman, Daniel. "Studying and Treating Schizophrenia Using Virtual Reality: A New Paradigm." Schizophrenia Bulletin. July 2008. (Sept. 20, 2012) http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2486455/
- GestureTek Health.com. "Web site."(Sept. 20, 2012) http://www.gesturetekhealth.com/products-rehab.php
- Hall, Joanna. "Virtual Therapy: How it works for you." Good Health. Nov. 3, 2010. (Sept. 20, 2012)
- Hoffman, Hunter G. "Virtual-Reality Therapy." Scientific American. August 2004. (Sept. 20, 2012) http://www.hitl.washington.edu/research/vrpain/SCIAMFin.pdf
- Knabe, Ann P. "From disturbing reality to virtual reality: doctors use VR therapy to help patients with PTSD confront their demons." The Officer. Sept-Oct 2010. (Sept. 20, 2012)
- Rosencrance, Linda. "Virtual therapy: imagination trumps pain and phobias." ComputerWorld. March 14, 2005. (Sept. 20, 2012)
- The Virtual Reality Medical Center. "Web site." 2011. (Sept 20, 2012) http://www.vrphobia.com/