Lots More Information
HowStuffWorks Looks at the Turing Test and whether it has been passed by an intelligent artificial being or not.
Author's Note: 5 Futuristic Trends in Supercomputing
As a dedicated user of the cloud, I prefer to travel light. I personally only use about a gigabyte of my computer's hard drive, so that I can access my media and work projects from whichever device is most convenient. But in learning about how supercomputers are shifting the focus of computing power even further away from my phone and tablet, I was astonished to see just how many truly futuristic opportunities for the betterment of our lives are just within our grasp.
More Great Links
- Daily Mail. "Get Ready For The Supercomputer That Can Predict the Future." Daily Mail. December 2011. (Aug 8, 2012) http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2069775/Get-ready-supercomputer-predict-future-EU-prepares-900m-funding.html
- Graham, Susan L., Snir, Marc, and Patterson, Cynthia A. "Getting Up To Speed: The Future Of Supercomputing." National Research Council of the National Academies Committee On The Future Of Supercomputing, National Academies Press. 2005. (Aug 8, 2012) http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/um/people/blampson/72-cstb-supercomputing/72-cstb-supercomputing.pdf
- IBM. "Roadrunner." White paper. June 2008. (Aug 8, 2012) http://www.ibm.com/ibm/ideasfromibm/us/roadrunner/20080609/index.shtml
- Jana, Reena. "Green IT: Corporate Strategies." Business Week. February 2011. (Aug 8, 2012) http://www.businessweek.com/stories/2008-02-11/green-it-corporate-strategiesbusinessweek-business-news-stock-market-and-financial-advice
- McMillan, Robert. "Intel Sees Exabucks in Supercomputing's Future." Wired. January 2012. (Aug 8, 2012) http://www.wired.com/wiredenterprise/2012/01/supercomputings-future
- Museum Of American Heritage. "Technology." Last updated May 2010. (Aug 8, 2012) http://www.moah.org/exhibits/archives/brains/technology.html
- Peckham, Matt. "The Collapse of Moore's Law: Physicist Says It's Already Happening." Time. May 2012. (Aug 8, 2012) http://techland.time.com/2012/05/01/the-collapse-of-moores-law-physicist-says-its-already-happening
- Perry, Douglas. "You'd Need a 1 Petaflop to Score #20 Rank in Top 500 List." Tom's Hardware Technology Blog. July 2012. (Aug 8, 2012) http://www.tomshardware.com/news/supercomputer-top500-petaflop-servers-DOE,16042.html
- Yonck, Richard. "The Supercomputer Race, Revisited." World Future Society Blogs. June 2011. (Aug 8, 2012) http://www.wfs.org/content/supercomputer-race-revisited