Sure, the printing press may have been around for more than half a millennium, but no high-tech gadget can bring a family closer than a beloved goodnight story or a dog-eared classic that everyone can enjoy. Reading helps children build a broader vocabulary, increases language acquisition, builds listening and memory skills, sparks the imagination and teaches kids about the world around them. You can watch movies, listen to music and play video games with your kids, but if you want to help them expand their minds, you need to teach them how to read. Reading brings your family closer and helps your children acquire the tools they need to succeed in life. So pick up a book start bonding. You (and your kids) will be glad you did!
- Apple. "What's New in iTunes." iTunes. 2010. (June 26, 2010).http://www.apple.com/itunes/whats-new/
- Entertainment Software Rating Board (ESRB). "About ESRB." 2010. (June 27, 2010).http://www.esrb.org/about/index.jsp
- KidsHealth.org. "Reading Books to Babies." 2010. (June 27, 2010)http://kidshealth.org/parent/positive/all_reading/reading_babies.html
- Loftus, Tom. "Parenting and Video Games: One Dad's Tips." MSNBC. Sept. 9, 2005. (June 27, 2010).http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9129712/
- Microsoft. "Zune to Zune." Zune. 2010. (June 26, 2010).http://www.zune.net/en-us/support/usersguide/sharing/zunetozune.htm
- RaiseSmartKid. "The Benefits of Reading to Your Child." 2010. (June 27, 2010).http://www.raisesmartkid.com/articles/the-benefits-of-reading-to-your-child.html
- Rowland, Marijke. "Social Networking Ties Families Together." Buffalo News. May 17, 2010. (June 26, 2010).http://www.buffalonews.com/2010/05/17/1052816/social-networking-ties-families.html
- Skype. 2010. (June 27, 2010).http://www.skype.com/intl/en-us/home
- Slagle, Matt. "Dads and Kids Bond Over Video Games." MSNBC. June 16, 2007. (June 27, 2010).http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19249637/
Is your house full of unwanted CDs? Learn seven ways to get rid of your unwanted CDs at HowStuffWorks.