Children just a few months old can start navigating and keyboarding in age-appropriate ways while having fun. Most kid-friendly laptops will have educational tools such as word processing options, easy-access and easy-to-filter Web surfing, and a host of add-on applications from dictionaries to games to encyclopedia-type content. At home, all of this is really in the hands of parents, and the amount of memory, space and play time that goes to gaming and socializing is up to you. Schools are also part of the computer learning network for kids, though, so working with your child's curriculum and making supplemental information available is likely part of helping with homework.
Keeping all of this in mind, it may also be a good idea to include your children when shopping around for a kid-friendly laptop. They don't always know more about computers than their parents, but they will be able to show you what they know, what they like and what they think they need. Letting kids help in getting up their own laptops also allows for learning and growth in independence while teaching about boundaries. Offering choices for different Web sites to bookmark and software to upload lets young people take some ownership of their own computers. And, kid-friendly does, after all, include a lot of things outside of learning that are fun for kids.
- Bradford, K.T. "The Best Kid-Friendly Netbooks for the Holidays." LaptopMag.com. Nov. 24, 2009. (Feb. 5, 2012) http://blog.laptopmag.com/kids-netbook
- CBS News. "What If Every Child Had a Laptop?" CBSNews.com. Feb. 11, 2009. (Feb. 5, 2012) http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/05/20/60minutes/main2830058.shtml
- Crook, Jordan. "Toshiba Announces Updated Kid-Friendly Laptop." TechCrunch.com. Sept. 27, 2011. (Feb. 5, 2012) http://techcrunch.com/2011/09/27/toshiba-announces-updated-kid-friendly-laptop/
- Rosenblatt, Seth. "KidZui: The Internet for Kids." CNET.com. Dec. 8, 2008. (Feb. 5, 2012) http://download.cnet.com/KidZui-The-Internet-for-Kids/3000-2132_4-10884184.html
- Schofield, Jack. "Wanted: A Laptop for a Child." Guardian.co.uk. Nov. 24, 2011. (Feb. 5, 2012) http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/askjack/2011/nov/24/ask-jack-laptop-for-child-wanted
- Tahnk, Jeana Lee. "Best Family-Friendly Desktop and Laptop Computers." http://www.parenting.com/gallery/best-laptop-computers-kids
- Tynan-Wood, Christina. "7 Top Computers for the Holidays." GreatSchools.org. 2011. (Feb. 5, 2012) http://www.greatschools.org/great-gifts/high-tech-toys/slideshows/5095-7-top-computers-for-the-holidays.gs?page=1