What it is: strictly kid-appropriate videos from YouTube
How it works: Kids choose from six categories to browse available videos. Each video has a thumbnail photo, so the child may recognize the Speed Racer cartoon before knowing how to spell it or learn to associate the Eiffel Tower icon with a video of France.
Why we like it: All videos are from YouTube, but they're selected by parents and editors and placed into categories like animals, people, places, fun shows, learn and music. Because the videos are prescreened, a mom could let her child wheel through the videos for hours unsupervised, if she so chooses. WeetWoo! is convenient, too -- much easier than loading DVDs.
- Dalzell, Susan. "How devices like the iPad are helping special-needs children, hospital patients." Dayton Daily News. April 2011. http://www.daytondailynews.com/lifestyle/technology/how-devices-like-the-ipad-are-helping-special-needs-children-hospital-patients-1141405.html
- Drawing Pad. "The Best Tablet Drawing App!" (Feb. 8, 2012) http://drawingpadapp.com/
- iTot Apps. "Toddler Flashcards." (Feb. 11, 2012) http://itotapps.com/Site/Welcome.html
- iTunes. "Build A Word." (Feb. 10, 2012) http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/build-a-word/id329397984?mt=8
- iTunes. "ComApp." (Feb. 11, 2012) http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/comapp/id442992034?mt=8
- iTunes. "Drawing Pad." (Feb. 10, 2012) http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/drawing-pad/id358207332?mt=8
- iTunes. "The Pianist." (Feb. 9, 2012) http://itunes.apple.com/app/pianist/id284622652?mt=8
- iTunes. "WeetWoo! Kid Videos, Safe & Educational, from YouTube & parent reviewed." (Feb. 11, 2012) http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/weetwoo!-kid-videos-safe-educational/id341005161?mt=8
- Michael Cohen Group LLC. "Young Children, Apps & iPad." (Feb. 12, 2012) http://www.mcgrc.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/ipad-study-cover-page-report-mcg-info_new-online.pdf
- MooCowMusic.com. (Feb. 12, 2012) http://moocowmusic.com/
- PBSKids.org. "WordWorld." (Feb. 11, 2012) http://pbskids.org/wordworld/index_flash.html
- Special Learning. "Communicating Basic Needs." (Feb. 12, 2012) http://special-learning.com/comapp2
- YouTube. "Best iPad App - Drawing Pad!" (Feb. 12, 2012) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEU0EmiZcAk
- YouTube. "WeetWoo! Demo." (Feb. 12, 2012) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5KJ1gbBt0A
- YouTube. "Word World App." (Feb. 12, 2012) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B60HLTzWXnE
- YouTube. iTot Cards (Feb. 9, 2012) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHHJwWivSAw
When is it the right time to get a cell phone for your kid? Do they actually need one? Learn about the right time for kids cell phones.