Apple iPad 2
If you're thinking about getting a tablet for your kids, don't overlook the device that's truly the "Mac daddy" of them all. While the Apple iPad 2 may be a tad expensive starting at $499, it's also the easiest to use, responsive and feature-rich. Plus, it's lightweight, quick, and boasts a 10-hour battery life.
The iPad 2 offers the widest variety of learning apps, encompassing an extensive range of topics and complexity, so it grows along with your child. And for entertainment, the iPad 2 offers videos, movies, books and games galore.
Although handing your little ones something they'll regard as a $500 toy seems like a recipe for disaster, many parents comment that the iPad 2 is intuitive enough for toddlers to navigate with little assistance. If you decide to share your iPad with your little ones (or even give them with one of their own), durable cases are available to protect your investment, from sturdy and sensible to toddler-friendly and a little bit silly (see the iGuy).
Whatever tablet you choose, it's certain to become the favorite toy of every youngster (or just the young at heart) in your household!
- Bilton, Ricardo. "10 Best Tablets for kids." ZDnet.com. November 29, 2011. (Feb. 23, 2012.) http://www.zdnet.com/photos/10-best-tablets-for-kids/6330739?seq=9&tag=siu-container;photo-frame#photo-frame.
- Carew, Sinead. "In homes with tablets, most kids use them." Reuters. February 16, 2012. (Feb. 23, 2012.) http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/02/16/us-tablet-computers-idUSTRE81F15S20120216.
- ConsumerReports.org. "Review of tablets for kids." December 2011. (Feb. 23, 2012.) http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/2011/12/review-of-tablets-for-kids/index.htm.
- Leapfrog.com. "LeapPad." (Feb. 23, 2012.) http://www.leapfrog.com/leappad/index.html#create_and_share.
- Moore, Joshua. "iPad vs. Android Tablets: A Kids Perspective." GottaBeMobile.com. July 7, 2011. (Feb. 23, 2012.) http://www.gottabemobile.com/2011/07/20/ipad-vs-android-tablets-a-kids-perspective.
- Ragaza, Laarni. "Vtech InnoTab Interactive Learning App Tablet." PCMag.com. Nov. 22, 2011. (Feb. 23, 2012.) http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2396670,00.asp.
- Smith, Andrea. "Don't Break My iPad: Tablets Designed for Kids." ABCnews.go.com. Oct. 13, 2011. (Feb. 23, 2012.) http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/ipads-children-kid-friendly-tablets-breaking/story?id=14724793#.T0HOnM3-T14.
- Tuttle, Brad. "Should you buy a toddler a tablet?" Time.com. Dec. 9, 2011. (Feb. 23, 2012.) http://moneyland.time.com/2011/12/09/should-you-buy-a-toddler-a-tablet-how-about-a-480-tablet/.
- VTechKids.com. VTech InnoTab." (Feb. 23, 2012.) http://www.vtechkids.com/brands/brand_view/innotab.
HowStuffWorks finds out what 'Hour of Code' is all about and how it can help children and adults learn about computer programming.