The best way to keep your kids informed about what you expect regarding cell phone usage is to put it in writing. A cell phone contract is a smart and effective way to discuss what is and is not appropriate regarding your kids' talk time. You can lay out the rules for when and for how long they can use their phones and who they can speak with. After you've gone over the rules, have your kids sign the contract and keep it in a highly visible place, like on the refrigerator door.
- AT&T. Smart Limits for Wireless. (Feb. 20, 2011) http://www.att.net/smartcontrols-SmartLimitsForWireless
- Copeland, Larry. "Most teens still distracted when driving." USA Today. Aug. 2, 2010. (Feb. 23, 2012). http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2010-08-02-teendrivers02_ST_N.htm
- Distraction.gov. (Feb. 27, 2012) http://www.distraction.gov/index.html
- Firefly Mobile. (Feb. 20, 2012) http://www.fireflymobile.com/
- Hafner, Katie. "Texting May Be Taking a Toll." New York Times. May 25, 2009. (Feb. 27, 2012) http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/26/health/26teen.html
- Kajeet. (Feb. 20, 2012) http://www.kajeet.com/4u/index.html
- Matarese, John. "What is the best cell phone for your child? WCPO.com. Sep. 22, 2010. (Feb. 29, 2012) http://www.wcpo.com/dpp/money/consumer/dont_waste_your_money/cell-phones-for-kids
- Nielsen Wire. "U.S. Teen Mobile Report: Calling Yesterday, Texting Today, Using Aps Tomorrow." Oct. 14, 2010. (Feb 22, 2012)
- Olsen, Stefanie. "When to Buy Your Child a Cellphone." New York Times. June 9, 2010. (Feb. 20, 2012). http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/10/technology/personaltech/10basics.html
- Parr, Ben. "The Average Teenager Sends 3,339 Texts Per Month." Mashable. Oct. 14, 2010. (Feb. 22, 2012) http://mashable.com/2010/10/14/nielsen-texting-stats/
- Singletary, Michelle. "Cellphones for kids are more gadget than necessity." Washington Post. Nov. 25, 2011. (Feb. 22, 2012) http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/cellphones-for-kids-are-more-gadget-than-necessity/2011/11/21/gIQAIfg1vN_story.html
What does smartphone addiction look like in an older person? Read this HowStuffWorks article to find out.