Your latest family video doesn't have to go viral to have a big impact. Taking candid photos and unscripted videos using a phone, tablet, notebook computer or the dedicated audio-video device of your choice is often easier than programming the defrost setting on your microwave. A long letter explaining how your brother managed to ride the lawnmower into the swimming pool just doesn't quite match the immediacy -- not to mention guilty hilarity -- of watching him sink like a stone in the shallow end on YouTube.
Multimedia technology has come a long way in a short time, and telephony services like Skype, card sites, online scrapbooking sites, and photo-sharing sites are making it easy to get in on the action. Whether you want to watch your sister's birthday celebration via webcam or just send an audio e-card, you can find any number of easy-to-follow tutorials for the cost of a five-minute browser search.
- What are the benefits of family dinner time?
- 5 Ways to Help Your Family Stay in Touch While Serving Overseas
- What are some Internet safety tips for kids?
- How to Choose a Family Cell Phone Plan
- Is Facebook safe for kids?
- Are kids getting addicted to Facebook?
- At what age should you let your kids on Facebook?
- What are the parental issues with Facebook?
- Abaya, Carol. "Technology can help elders and their families communicate more efficiently." Newsroom New Jersey. 4/11/11. (2/14/12). http://www.newjerseynewsroom.com/healthquest/technology-can-help-elders-and-their-families-communicate-more-efficiently
- Bouffard, Suzanne. "Tapping Into Technology: The Role of the Internet in Family–School Communication." Harvard Research Project. 7/2008. (2/14/12). http://www.hfrp.org/publications-resources/browse-our-publications/tapping-into-technology-the-role-of-the-internet-in-family-school-communication
- Bryant, Alison J., Ashley Sanders-Jackson , Amber M. K. Smallwood. "IMing, Text Messaging, and Adolescent Social Networks." Journal of Computer-Mediated Communication. 2006. (2/14/12). Jaslow, Ryan. "GPS shoes marketed for Alzheimer's patients: Will they save lives?" 10/28/11. (2/14/12). http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504763_162-20127061-10391704/gps-shoes-marketed-for-alzheimers-patients-will-they-save-lives/
- Matyszczyk, Chris. "New research says technology strengthens (miserable) families." Cnet News. 10/21/08. (2/14/12). http://news.cnet.com/8301-17852_3-10072100-71.html
- Microsoft News Center. "News Press Release: AARP and Microsoft Release New Study on How Online Communication Connects Generations." 2/7/12. (2/14/12). http://www.microsoft.com/Presspass/press/2012/feb12/02-07SIDPR.mspx
- Microsoft.com. "Connecting Generations." 2012. (2/14/12). http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=9796878
- Pew Research Center. "Why Americans Use Social Media." 11/15/11. (2/14/12). http://pewresearch.org/pubs/2131/social-media-facebook-twitter-myspace-linkedin
- Raffle, Hayes. "Exploring Family Communication and Technology Use with an Eye to Design." Nokia Research Center Palo Alto. (2/14/12). http://www.hayesraffle.com/wp-content/uploads/ames-nokia-family-communication-cscw2008-workshop.pdf
- Science Direct. "The Family and Communication Technologies. 2009. (2/14/12). http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/um/people/ast/files/little_ijhcs_2009.pdf
- Small, Gary M.D. "Is Technology Fracturing Your Family?" Psychology Today. 6/19/09. (2/14/12). http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/brain-bootcamp/200906/is-technology-fracturing-your-family
What does smartphone addiction look like in an older person? Read this HowStuffWorks article to find out.