Lots More Information
The most super plugged-in know how difficult it is to break free of the biggest tech companies. HowStuffWorks looks at how hard it is and why.
Author's Note: 5 Things You Should Know About Nanotechnology
As a young kid, I was the one boy on my block who couldn't stand watching the movie "Fantastic Voyage" for the reason that I didn't believe that anything useful could exist at that proposed size. The inner workings of the body at those levels were somewhere on par with unicorns and leprechauns who keep large sums of gold safely tucked away at the feet of rainbows. Granted, that was before I had my mind blown by my Biology 101 class. Today, I can't help but geek out when someone starts talking about the natural world functioning at that level, and how we're fixing things like cancer at the nanoscale. Truly amazing stuff!
- Ackerman, Evan. "Tin nanowhiskers triple battery capacity, on the market in a year". DVice. June 5, 2012. (Aug. 19, 2012) http://dvice.com/archives/2012/06/tin-nanowhisker.php
- Beck-Broichsitter, Moritz. "Controlled pulmonary drug and gene delivery using polymeric nano-carriers". Science Direct. July 20, 2012. (Aug. 17, 2012) http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0168365911011060
- Berger, Michael. "Photonic crystal tablets - the future of iPads?" Nanowerk. Aug. 2, 2011 (Aug. 19, 2012). http://www.nanowerk.com/spotlight/spotid=22290.php
- Bland, Eric. "Gold Nanospheres Sear Cancer Cells to Death." Discovery News. April 1, 2009. (Aug. 19, 2012)http://dsc.discovery.com/news/2009/04/01/gold-nanospheres.html
- Dillow, Clay. "A Nanotech Treatment For Your Phone Lets It Survive Dunking In Water." Jan. 9, 2012. (Aug. 18, 2012) http://www.popsci.com/gadgets/article/2012-01/video-clear-nanotech-coating-makes-electronics-impervious-water
- Full, Robert. "Engineering and Evolution". TED Conferences. June 2008. (Aug. 20, 2012) http://www.ted.com/talks/robert_full_on_engineering_and_evolution.html
- Gellerman, Bruce. "Small Technology, Big Questions (transcript)." National Center for Environmental Research, U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). March 18, 2011. (Aug. 12, 2012) http://epa.gov/ncer/nano/video/smalltech.html
- Institute of Medicine (IOM). "Nanotechnology in Food Products: Workshop Summary." Institute of Medicine (US) Food Forum. 2009. (Aug. 28, 2012) http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK32737/
- Nanowerk. "Nanotechnology shirt may someday power your iPod." Feb. 3, 2008. (Aug. 20, 2012) http://www.nanowerk.com/news/newsid=4513.php
- U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). "EPA Announces Conditional Registration of Nanosilver Pesticide Product." Dec. 1, 2012. (Aug. 18, 2102) http://www.epa.gov/oppfead1/cb/csb_page/updates/2011/nanosilver.html
- Ventura, Jeffrey. "FDA takes 'first step' toward greater regulatory certainty around nanotechnology". U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA). June 9, 2012. (Aug. 20, 2012) http://www.fda.gov/NewsEvents/Newsroom/PressAnnouncements/ucm258377.htm