Lots More Information
Drones can capture amazing pictures. Learn more about the Dronestagram photo contest winners in this HowStuffWorks Now article.
I visited the Twin Towers of the World Trade Center in New York for the first time just before the terrorist attacks of 9/11. Standing at the bottom of the towers and peering straight up at their seemingly endless climb had a distinctly nauseating effect -- so I laid on a bench to steady myself and peered up for a few minutes to absorb their majesty.
You can't help but want to try to capture a scene like that with a camera. But architectural photography is deceptively hard. Just as with a portrait or an action shot, you're looking to visualize not just what you see with your eyes but also what you feel in your heart and soul.
Maybe that's just a lot of artistic puffery and noodle-brained nonsense, but I don't think so. Just as our biggest, most elaborate and most gorgeous constructions awe and inspire us, so, too, can the pictures we make of them.
- American Institute of Architects. "Commissioning Architectural Photography." 2008. (March 23, 2012) http://asmp.org/pdfs/AIA_ASMP_BestPractices.pdf
- Bradley, Darren. "A Guide to Architectural Photography." Real Photographers Forum. November 2011. (March 23, 2012) http://www.realphotographersforum.com/content/521-guide-architectural-photography-part-v-finding-your-viewpoint.html
- Bray, Simon. "A Brilliant Beginner's Guide to Architectural Photography." Photo.tutsplus.com. Oct. 17, 2011. (March 23, 2012) http://photo.tutsplus.com/articles/news/a-brilliant-beginners-guide-to-architectural-photography/
- Cambridge in Color. "Tilt Shift Lenses: Perspective Control." (March 23, 2012) http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/tilt-shift-lenses1.htm
- Evans, Mark. "Tilt Shift Photography Tutorial and Showcase." Smashandpeas.com. 2009. (March 23, 2012) http://www.smashandpeas.com/tilt-shift-photography-tutorial-showcase/
- Giral, David. "Architecture Photography: A Quick Guide to Shooting Building Exteriors." ProPhotoResource.com. Jan. 26, 2011. (March 23, 2012) http://www.prophotoresource.com/home/item/627-architecture-photography-a-quick-guide-to-shooting-building-exteriors.html
- Greenspun, Philip. "How to Photograph Architecture (Exterior)." Photo.net. 2007. (March 23, 2012) http://photo.net/learn/architectural/exterior
- Greenspun, Philip. "How to Photograph Architecture (Interior)." Photo.net. June 1999. (March 23, 2012) http://photo.net/learn/architectural/interior
- Humphreys, Chris. "Architectural Photography." Digital Photographer. 2011. (March 23, 2012) http://www.chp-architecturalphotography.com/uploads/CHP/pdf/DP%20Issue%20106%20-%20Architecture%20main%20feature.pdf
- Korkmazov, Murat."What to Know More about Architectural Photography? We Asked an Expert." Hongkiat.com. 2012. (March 23, 2012) http://www.hongkiat.com/blog/architectural-photography-brad-feinknopf/
- LightStalking.com. "7 Tips for Better Architectural Photography." Dec. 1, 2010. (March 23, 2012) http://www.lightstalking.com/architecture-tips
- New York Institute of Photography. "How to Photograph Interiors." (March 23, 2012) http://www.nyip.com/ezine/techtips/interiors.html
- Urban Photography Art. "Architectural Photography Tips." (March 23, 2012) http://www.urban-photography-art.com/photography-tips.html