Concerns, Availability and Perks
Concern has been voiced that the Firefly feature of the phone will give Amazon loads of information that may violate users' privacy, possibly including GPS data, photos of objects they're interested in and audio of their daily doings, among other things. Big data is already used by many companies to provide insight into people's shopping habits, and can even be used to discern things like income level and health issues. With most companies, the main goal is to target appropriate ads at people to increase sales. We already provide a ton of information to online retailers anytime we buy from them, and even to physical stores if we use credit, debit or reward cards. Using the Fire phone to research and purchase item could increase, possibly substantially, the amount of information one particular retailer will have on you, depending upon how they use the information.
At least as far as GPS data goes, Amazon says that they do not identify the location of products scanned in Firefly, but do identify location of scanned phone numbers for the purpose of adding area code, if the user has location services turned on. They will also use scanned data to improve product identification.
But if you're already a heavy Amazon shopper or app user (say, you already shop with them, use Kindle and have a Prime membership), or even if you just use the website a lot to look up reviews and prices, the Amazon Fire phone might, at the very least, make your online research, comparison shopping and purchasing experiences even more convenient. This may hurt brick-and-mortar stores more than anyone.
There are some limited time offers that might make the phone attractive, too. At the time of this writing, purchasers get a full year of Amazon's Prime membership for free (currently a $99 value), or a year's extension on their existing Prime membership. Prime gives you free two-day shipping on a large number of products. Prime also gives you access to stream lots of free videos and music, and free checkout of up to one book a month through the Kindle Owners' Lending Library.
Fire users will be able to use Amazon Coins to purchase games and other apps, and make in-app purchases, and for a limited time, the Fire comes with 1,000 coins (worth $10).
Amazon Fire phone was released on July 25, 2014 in the United States. The price is $199 with a 2-year service plan for the 32GB model ($649 without a plan), or $299 with a 2-year service plan for the 64GB model ($749 without a plan). You can also get it from around $27 to $38 per month through AT&T's Next Installment program, depending upon your chosen model and number of monthly installments. Like the iPhone when it was initially released, Amazon's Fire Phone will only available for use with AT&T networks at first.
Author's Note: How the Amazon Fire Phone Works
I'm intrigued by the Amazon Fire Phone. I already have a smartphone, nearly every Kindle app and an Amazon Prime membership. Every time I shop in a brick-and-mortar store, I look up everything I'm considering purchasing, usually on Amazon, which has both pricing and user reviews in one convenient place. The ability to hit the Firefly button and scan it all instead of opening a browser, typing product names and numbers and clicking through links until I find what I'm looking for does seem like it would be a time-saver.
And then there's Dynamic Perspective, whose head tracking and perspective changes remind me of an article I researched on virtual windows, one version of which does something similar with a larger monitor. You can move your head or tilt the phone and the images move accordingly, like you are looking through a window. I'm hoping this with be incorporated into a tablet so that one day I can have a little "window" in my cubicle.
And I've already confirmed that my phone's Kindle app does Immersion Reading. Neat! This just gives me one more tempting possibility for the next time I upgrade my phone.
- Albanesius, Chloe. "Amazon Tackles Smartphones With 'Fire Phone.'" PC Mag. June 18, 2014. (July 7, 2014) http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2459701,00.asp
- Amazon. "Amazon Fire Phone, 32 GB (AT&T)." (June 29, 2014) http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EOE0WKQ/
- Amazon. "Amazon Fire Phone, 64 GB (AT&T)." (June 29, 2014) http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EODYW6M
- Amazon. "Developer - Getting Started - Dynamic Perspective SDK for Fire Phone." (July 6, 2014) https://developer.amazon.com/public/solutions/devices/fire-phone/overview/dynamic-perspective-sdk-for-fire-phone
- Amazon. "Developer - Getting Started - Fire Phone." (June 29, 2014) https://developer.amazon.com/public/solutions/devices/fire-phone
- Amazon. "Developer - Getting Started - Understanding Firefly." (July 6, 2014) https://developer.amazon.com/public/solutions/devices/fire-phone/docs/understanding-firefly
- Amazon. "Developer - Resources - Appstore Developer Select." (July 6, 2014) https://developer.amazon.com/public/resources/promotional-tools/featured-developer-program
- Amazon. "Help & Customer Service - Learn About Movies and TV Shows with X-Ray." (July 9, 2014) http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=help_search_1-1?ie=UTF8&nodeId=201306530&qid=1404963355&sr=1-1
- Amazon. "Keep the story going." (July 9, 2014) https://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html?docId=1000827761
- Apple. "iPhone 5s - Tech Specs." (July 8, 2014) http://www.apple.com/iphone-5s/specs/
- AT&T. "Amazon Fire Phone - 32GB - Black." (July 8, 2014) http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/devices/amazon/fire-phone-32gb-black.html?source=EC44AM06200AMZ06L#fbid=1-BJn23YuAL
- AT&T. "Amazon Fire Phone - 64GB - Black." (July 8 2014) http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/devices/amazon/fire-phone-64gb-black.html?source=EC44AM062J0AMZ06L#fbid=1-BJn23YuAL
- AT&T. "Samsung Galaxy S 5 - Shimmery White." (July 9, 2014) http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/devices/samsung/galaxy-s-5-shimmery-white.html
- Bell, Donald. "Phones: Best features of the Amazon Fire Phone." CNET. June 27, 2014. (July 6, 2014) http://www.cnet.com/videos/best-features-of-the-amazon-fire-phone/
- Blattberg, Eric. "Amazon's new phone is a dream for developers, says an early API partner." Venturebeat. June 18, 2014. (July 9, 2014) http://venturebeat.com/2014/06/18/amazons-new-phone-is-a-dream-for-developers-says-an-early-api-partner/
- CNET. "Google Nexus 5 Prices." (July 9, 2014) http://www.cnet.com/products/google-nexus-5/prices/
- CNET. "Samsung Galaxy S5 Prices." (July 9, 2014) http://www.cnet.com/products/samsung-galaxy-s5/prices/
- Colon, Alex. "Amazon Fire Phone vs. Apple iPhone 5s: Spec Compared." PC Mag. June 19, 2014. (July 7, 2014) http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2459706,00.asp
- Dolcourt, Jessica. "High five: Samsung's best phone gets better." CNET. June 13, 2014. (July 9, 2014) http://www.cnet.com/products/samsung-galaxy-s5/
- Fitzsimmons, Michelle. "Amazon Fire Phone release date, news and features." Techradar. June 18, 2014. (July 9, 2014) http://www.techradar.com/news/phone-and-communications/mobile-phones/amazon-phone-release-date-news-and-rumors-1085821
- Gokey, Malarie. "Amazon Fire Phone is Official: MayDay, Firefly, 3D, and Everything Else We Know." Digital Trends. June 18, 2014. (July 6, 2014) http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/amazon-fire-phone-news-features/
- Greenwald, Will. "Amazon Fire Phone vs. Samsung Galaxy S5: Specs Compared." PC Mag. June 20, 2014. (July 7, 2014) http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2459701,00.asp
- H., Victor. "This phone is on fire: Amazon Fire Phone, the retailer's first phone, goes official." PhoneArena. June 18, 2014. (July 8, 2014) http://www.phonearena.com/news/This-phone-is-on-fire-Amazon-Fire-Phone-the-retailers-first-smartphone-goes-official_id57280
- Koetsier, John. "Amazon's Fire Phone might be the biggest privacy invasion ever (and no one's noticed)." Venturebeat. June 19, 2014. (July 9, 2014) http://venturebeat.com/2014/06/19/amazon-fire-phone-might-be-the-biggest-privacy-invasion-ever-and-no-ones-noticed/
- Madden, Sean. "Amazon's Fire Phone May Be Too Magical For Its Own Good." Wired. June 24, 2014. (July 7, 2014) http://www.wired.com/2014/06/curse-of-fire-phone-delight/
- Page, Carly. "Amazon Fire Phone release date, specs, price and availability." Inquirer. June 19, 2014. (July 8, 2014) http://m.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/2350484/amazon-smartphone-release-date-specs-price-and-rumours
- Palmer, Shelly. "Amazon Fire Phone." Huffington Post. June 26, 2014. (July 9, 2014) http://www.huffingtonpost.com/shelly-palmer/amazon-fire-phone-an-epic_b_5531447.html
- Pelegrin, Williams. "Amazon Fire Phone Vs. iPhone 5s: Amazon's First Phone Side-By-Side With Apple's Gold Standard." Digital Trends. June 22, 2014. (July 8, 2014) http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/fire-phone-vs-iphone-5s/
- Peterson, Tim and Mark Bergen. "Amazon Lures Developers to Fire Phone With Guaranteed Ad Rates." Advertising Age. June 25, 2014. (July 9, 2014) http://adage.com/article/digital/amazon-lures-apps-fire-phone-guaranteed-ad-rates/293876/
- PhoneArena. "Google Nexus 5 vs Apple iPhone 5s." (July 9, 2014) http://www.phonearena.com/phones/compare/Google-Nexus-5,Apple-iPhone-5s/phones/8148,7710
- Porges, Seth. "Why Amazon May Not Be Concerned With The Fire Phone Actually Succeeding." June 27, 2014. (July 7, 2014) http://www.forbes.com/sites/sethporges/2014/06/27/why-amazon-may-not-be-concerned-with-the-fire-phone-actually-succeeding/
- Quilas, Ma Evelyn Castino. "Amazon Fire PHone vs. Samsung Galaxy S5: Price and Specs Comparison in Australia." International Business Times. June 27, 2014. (July 8, 2014) http://au.ibtimes.com/articles/557176/20140627/amazon-fire-phone-vs-samsung-galaxy-s5.htm#.U7yeaPldXVp
- Samsung. "Samsung Galaxy S5." (July 8, 2014) http://www.samsung.com/global/microsite/galaxys5/specs.html
- Sprint. "Google Nexus 5." (July 9, 2014) http://shop.sprint.com/mysprint/shop/phone_details.jsp?prodId=dvc7820002prd&deviceSKUId=78200231&flow=AAL&planSKUId=null&tab
- Statt, Nick. "Firefly is the Amazon Fire Phone's secret weapon." CNET. June 18, 2014. (July 9, 2014) http://venturebeat.com/2014/06/18/amazons-new-phone-is-a-dream-for-developers-says-an-early-api-partner/
- Stein, Scott and Jessica Dolcourt. "Amazon Fire Phone: Firefly shopping, dynamic 3D effects, coming July 25 for $199 (hands-on)." CNET. June 18, 2014. (July 7, 2014) http://www.cnet.com/products/amazon-fire-phone/
- Sullivan, Mark. "Amazon Fire Phone product manager explains how 'Firefly' really works." Venturebeat. June 20, 2014. (July 9, 2014) http://venturebeat.com/2014/06/20/amazon-fire-phone-product-manager-explains-how-firefly-really-works/
- Welch, Chris. "Amazon's Fire Phone recognizes everything around you with 'Firefly.'" Verge. June 18, 2014. (July 9, 2014) http://www.theverge.com/2014/6/18/5821594/amazon-fire-phone-recognizes-everything-around-you