I love bragging to my friends about the titles of my assignments for HowStuffWorks. But How the Ion Proton Sequencer works flat-out takes the blue ribbon purely on WTH factor. "You're making that up. Whatever you just said doesn't exist," was probably the best response I heard.
It's subjects like the Proton that makes writing for this site so much fun. The Proton and its peers represent a giant leap in genetic technology. The closest analogy is maybe computers in the late 1970s and '80s. As soon as they became so affordable that average families could own them, suddenly everyone started getting computers. As far as labs are concerned, the Proton is the Apple MacIntosh of genetic technology; compact, easy to use, a revolutionary presence in the market, and it packs an entire lab worth of analytics into a tiny box.
- Bio-IT World Staff. "German Teams, BGI and Life Technologies Identify Deadly European E.coli Strain." Bio-IT World. June 2, 2012. (July 18, 2012)http://www.bio-itworld.com/news/06/02/2011/German-teams-BGI-Life-Technologies-Identify-E-coli-strain.html
- Genome Web "RNA-seq Technical Guide." Oct. 30, 2009. (July 20, 2012) http://www.genomeweb.com/node/926779
- Herper, Matthew. "Biotech Firms Battle Over Same Day Genomes." Forbes. Jan. 10, 2012. (July 19, 2012). http://www.forbes.com/sites/matthewherper/2012/01/10/biotech-firms-battle-over-same-day-genomes/
- Invitrogen. "The Basics: RNA Isolation." 2012. (July 27, 2012) http://www.genomeweb.com/node/926779
- Minotta, Mauricio. "Ion Proton™ Systems Installed and Operational at the Baylor College of Medicine Human Genome Sequencing Center." April 24, 2012. (July 25, 2012) https://ir.lifetechnologies.com/releasedetail.cfm?ReleaseID=666946
- NOVA. "Cracking Your Genetic Code." PBS. March 28, 2012. (July 25, 2012) http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/body/cracking-your-genetic-code.html
- Shaw, Kenna and Ralston, Amy. "Gene Expression Regulates Cell Differentiation". Nature. 2008 (July 26, 2012) http://www.nature.com/scitable/topicpage/gene-expression-regulates-cell-differentiation-931
- Stomp, Wouter. "Ion Proton DNA Sequencer Decodes a Human Genome in One Day for $1,000." Medgadget. Jan. 10, 2012. (July 18, 2012) http://medgadget.com/2012/01/ion-proton-dna-sequencer-decodes-a-human-genome-in-one-day-for-1000.html
- U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA). "Ultra High Throughput Sequencing for Clinical Diagnostic Applications - Approaches to Assess Analytical Validity: Report from the Public Meeting". June 23, 2011. (July 20, 2012) http://www.fda.gov/MedicalDevices/NewsEvents/WorkshopsConferences/ucm255327.htm
- World Health Organization. "Outbreaks of E. coli O104:H4 infection: update 30." July 22, 2011. (July 17, 2012) http://www.euro.who.int/en/what-we-do/health-topics/emergencies/international-health-regulations/news/news/2011/07/outbreaks-of-e.-coli-o104h4-infection-update-30