Even though I'm an ardent, lifelong music fan, I've had only occasional brushes with old-school mechanical jukeboxes. Always-on Internet radio, CDs and MP3s I understand; records, well, not so much.
I have a hard time imagining a world in which I can't always find and play the exact song I want, anytime and anyplace. But it's not hard to see how the glowing lights and big sound of jukeboxes could entrance an entire generation. Their high-tech visual appeal and the ability to play some of your favorite songs – on demand – must have been entirely intoxicating for the young and old alike.
These days, our digital music contraptions let us listen both in solitude and huge social gathering places. Such tiny personal jukeboxes definitely change the way we hear songs, and they'll likely alter the course of music culture, too, just like big old Wurlitzer jukeboxes once did.
- Almind, Gert J. "The History of Coin-Operated Phonographs." Coin-o-phone.com. Aug. 11, 2010. (April 16, 2012) http://coin-o-phone.com/history.pdf
- Athitakis, Mark. "Jukebox Hero and Gordon Dorsey." SF Weekly. Dec. 1, 1999. (April 16, 2012) http://www.sfweekly.com/1999-12-01/music/riff-raff/
- Brewster, Bill and Frank Broughton. "Last Night a DJ Saved My Life: The History of the Disc Jockey." Groove Press. 2000.
- Davis, Francis. "The History of the Blues: The Roots, The Music, The People." Da Capo Press. 2003.
- Dawson, Jim and Steve Propes. "45 RPM: The History, Heroes, & Villians of a Pop Music Revolution." Hal Leonard. 2003.
- Dictionary.com. "Juke house."(April 16, 2012) http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/juke+house?jss=0
- Encyclopedia.com. "Jukebox." 2000. (April 16, 2012) http://www.encyclopedia.com/topic/Jukebox.aspx
- Fisher, Harry S. "Restorer Keeps in Tune with Jukebox History." The Morning Call. June 16, 1989. (April 16, 2012) http://articles.mcall.com/1989-06-16/news/2685386_1_jukebox-pinball-machine-raccoon
- The Free Dictionary.com. "Juke Joint." (April 16, 2012) http://www.thefreedictionary.com/juke+joint
- Haynes, Danielle. "Jukebox Heroes Bring Documentary to NT History Museum." Tonawanda News. April 9, 2012. (April 16, 2012) http://tonawanda-news.com/feature/x101441803/Jukebox-heroes-bring-documentary-to-NT-History-Museum
- Hoffman, Frank W. "Encyclopedia of Recorded Sound, Volume 1." Howard Ferstler. 2005.
- Keillor, Garrison. "The Writer's Almanac." American Public Media. Nov. 22, 2004. (April 16, 2012) http://writersalmanac.publicradio.org/programs/2004/11/22/index.html
- Kingsbury, Paul. "The Encyclopedia of Country Music." Oxford University Press. 1998.
- Long, Tony. "Nov. 23, 1889: P S.F. Gin Joint Hears World's First Jukebox." Wired.com. Nov. 23, 2010. (April 16, 2012) http://www.wired.com/thisdayintech/tag/louis-glass/
- Loomis, Frank Farmer IV. "The Music Professors Private Stash." Cincinnati Magazine. April 1994.
- McQuade, Dan. "TouchTunes Jukeboxes are Ruining Bars." The Philly Post. March 28, 2012. (April 16, 2012) http://blogs.phillymag.com/the_philly_post/2012/03/28/touchtunes-jukeboxes-ruining-bars/
- Segrave, Kerry. "Jukeboxes: An American Social History." McFarland. 2002.
- Van Etten, David. "Jukebox History." Jukeboxhistory.info. (April 16, 2012) http://www.jukeboxhistory.info/index.html