Author's Note: 10 Emerging Technologies in the Energy Industry
Almost every time I write an article for HowStuffWorks, I learn something new, and I pass the learning on to you. That really goes without saying.
But I love science. I love rovers on Mars and mice with ears on their backs. I love farting microbes and molten glass. Writing an article like this means I have to (get to) read a bunch of scientific articles and search the intertubes for cool new stuff that's being reported right this very minute.
I took this opportunity to sign up for the RSS feed or newsletter of every one of my sources, and to get a copy of a 300-page government report on energy sent to me as a PDF. I didn't even get to use it as a source for this article! Gah! Maybe next time...
- Allight. "New Mining Technology Promises Clean Energy for 200 Years." Greener Ideal. April 2, 2012. (Aug. 8, 2012) http://www.greenerideal.com/alternative-energy/0402-new-mining-technology-promises-clean-energy-for-200-years/
- Biello, David. "New Energy-Dense Battery Could Enable Long-Distance Electric Cars." Scientific American. Feb. 27, 2012. (Aug. 8, 2012) http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=new-energy-dense-battery-could-enable-long-distance-electric-cars
- Bullis, Kevin. "Microgrid Keeps the Power Local, Cheap, and Reliable." Technology Review. July 23, 2012. (Aug. 8, 2012) http://www.technologyreview.com/news/428533/microgrid-keeps-the-power-local-cheap-and/
- Bullis, Kevin. "Using Ozone to Clean up Fracking." Technology Review. Aug. 1, 2012. (Aug. 8, 2012) http://www.technologyreview.com/news/428591/using-ozone-to-clean-up-fracking/
- Espinas, Jerico. "New Bladeless Turbine Revolutionizes Wind Industry." Greener Ideal. Aug. 7, 2012. (Aug. 8, 2012) http://www.greenerideal.com/alternative-energy/0807-new-bladeless-turbine-revolutionizes-wind-industry/
- FutureGen Alliance. "FutureGen 2.0 Project." (Aug. 8, 2012) http://www.futuregenalliance.org/futuregen-2-0-project/
- Lamonica, Martin. "Tidal Turbine to Take the Plunge in the Bay of Fundy." Technology Review. July 25, 2012. (Aug. 8, 2012) http://www.technologyreview.com/view/428620/tidal-turbine-to-take-the-plunge-in-the-bay-of/
- Saphon Energy. (Aug. 8, 2012) http://www.saphonenergy.com/index.php
- ScienceDaily. "Breaking the Barriers for Low-Cost Energy Storage: Battery Could Help Transition to Renewable Energy Sources." ScienceDaily. Aug. 1, 2012. (Aug. 8, 2012) http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/08/120801154847.htm
- ScienceDaily. "Scientists Make Microbes to Make 'Clean' Methane." ScienceDaily. July 27, 2012. (Aug. 8, 2012) http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/07/120727144534.htm
- Trabish, Herman K. "CSP and PV Solar Make Each Other More Valuable." GreenTech Solar. April 23, 2012. (Aug. 8, 2012) http://www.greentechmedia.com/articles/read/CSP-and-PV-Solar-Make-Each-Other-More-Valuable/
- US Department of Energy. "SunShot Initiative National Renewal Energy Laboratory." October 2011. (Aug. 8, 2012) http://www.nrel.gov/docs/fy12osti/52478.pdf