As a professional photographer and road trip junkie, I'm addicted to that rush of throwing my camera and camping gear into my car and zooming down the highway. If there's anything I've learned, though, it's that really great travel photos don't happen when I'm in "zoom" mode.
The best images always happen when I take the time to slow down, take a long, deep breath and stay still long enough to soak up what's happening around me. After all, it's not the camera that understands what makes an image work. It's awareness. And the cool part is that with just a smidgen of practice with a camera, anyone who works on their awareness can make a picture worth remembering.
- Amarasiriwardena, T.S. "Tips to Take Great Travel Photos." Boston.com. (June 8, 2012) http://www.boston.com/travel/specials/travel_photography/
- Caputo, Robert. "Travel Photography Tips." National Geographic Photography. August 2007. (June 8, 2012) http://photography.nationalgeographic.com/photography/photo-tips/travel-photography-tips/
- Cardinal, David. "Digital Photography Travel Tips." PCMAG. June 1, 2005. (June 8, 2012) http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,1822492,00.asp
- Fodor's. "Focus on Travel Photography."(June 8, 2012) http://www.fodors.com/travel-photography/
- The Guardian. "How to Take Great Travel Photographs." Dec. 17, 2010. (June 8, 2012) http://www.guardian.co.uk/travel/2010/dec/18/travel-photography-tips
- Hewitt, Ed. "19 Tips for Better Travel Photos." IndependentTraveler.com. (June 8, 2012) http://www.independenttraveler.com/travel-tips/travelers-ed/19-tips-for-better-travel-photos
- Nicholson, Jon. "Expert Photography Tips." Conde Nast Traveller. March 2012. (June 8, 2012) http://www.cntraveller.com/news/2012/march/how-to-take-great-travel-pictures
- Nikon USA. "How to Take Better Travel Photos." (June 8, 2012) http://www.nikonusa.com/Learn-And-Explore/Photography-Techniques/g93p3dam/1/Take-Better-Travel-Photos.html